• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bought my first bow

holloman

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder
52   0
Reaction score
It's an older PSE gamesport, 70lb, 30" draw. Who wants to teach me how to use this sucker? I am pretty decent at 15 yards so far. (2-3" groups) Best tips for a bow noob?

Practice a lot. Wear an arm guard. If you plan to hunt with it, practice from an elevated position if you hunt from a stand. Angle affects trajectory. Make sure you have the right size and strength arrows for your bow. Practice in low light. Invest in lighted nocks, doesn't matter what brand, they all work. Practice with broadheads if you plan to hunt. They will usually not have the same point of impact as field points.

if you plan on hunting with it a range finder will be your best friend....also practice from an elevated point. it's amazing how that effects your POI

Go to a professional bow shop and have it set up specifically for you first. If you are just hunting deer then 70lb may be a bit much and tough to hold back unless you have an 85% let off. There are alot of variables. Draw length, single cam or dual cam, bow length, draw weight, broadhead weight, anchor point and arrow shaft type and weight. I shoot a custom BOWTECH Captain set at 65lb with 29 1/2" draw and carbon arrows made for this specific setup and broadhead weight. You may find that 30" draw is to long for you but the shop can measure it and hopefully the bow you bought can be adjusted to fit you. The shop can also paper tune your bow so the arrows are flying perfectly straight out of your bow. Once you have that and you have a constant anchor point for your draw then you need a good quality low light bow sight and practice practice practice. For my set up I would never take a shot past 40yds to ensure a clean hit and kill on the animal and to make sure I can recover them. A good pro shop can help you with all of this. Good luck and welcome to bow hunting!

Go to a professional bow shop and have it set up specifically for you first. If you are just hunting deer then 70lb may be a bit much and tough to hold back unless you have an 85% let off. There are alot of variables. Draw length, single cam or dual cam, bow length, draw weight, broadhead weight, anchor point and arrow shaft type and weight. I shoot a custom BOWTECH Captain set at 65lb with 29 1/2" draw and carbon arrows made for this specific setup and broadhead weight. You may find that 30" draw is to long for you but the shop can measure it and hopefully the bow you bought can be adjusted to fit you. The shop can also paper tune your bow so the arrows are flying perfectly straight out of your bow. Once you have that and you have a constant anchor point for your draw then you need a good quality low light bow sight and practice practice practice. For my set up I would never take a shot past 40yds to ensure a clean hit and kill on the animal and to make sure I can recover them. A good pro shop can help you with all of this. Good luck and welcome to bow hunting!

+1 know your limits, and know your equipment it will do its job if you do.

Back
Top Bottom