• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bow Question

TROY70

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
First off I am not a bowhunter. I know just enough to be dangerous..
My 11 year old son "says" he wants a bow for Christmas. He wants one that he can just shoot in the backyard and maybe try to hunt with. I'm the kind of person that wants a good quality item if I am going to shell out $$ for it. I do want one he can grow with. He's just an average size 11 year old. By now means can he handle an "adult" bow. I have been told to look at Bowtech Infinite Edge, Bowtech Fuel, and Mission Craze by Matthews...any and all help and advice would be appreciated.

maybe a mod can slide this over to the archery section for you where the right people might see it.

i have no experience in dealings with youth archery equipment, but for an 11 year old who just wants to flick sticks with a string in the back yard, i would be inclined to buy something a lot less expensive until you see if he is actually going to stick with it and keep the interest, then fork over the paper.

maybe a mod can slide this over to the archery section for you where the right people might see it.

i have no experience in dealings with youth archery equipment, but for an 11 year old who just wants to flick sticks with a string in the back yard, i would be inclined to buy something a lot less expensive until you see if he is actually going to stick with it and keep the interest, then fork over the paper.

:nod:

The youth bow category is strange, you have a metric ton of low end stuff and a good selection of high end stuff. Decent mid range/price starter compound bows are hard to come by.

I searched for a good starter bow for my son for several months before deciding on a pse recurve package. I chose a recurve to help him build strength, aiming without sights skills and to see if he liked shooting enough to stick with it long term. For a youth bow that you can adjust the weight low enough to learn to shoot and high enough to hunt with expect to pay at least $200 for a bare bow (no sights, arrows or accessories).

Check out lancaster archery, they have as good a selection and prices as anywhere else for youth bows. http://www.lancasterarchery.com/bows/youth-bows/compound-bows.html

Just go with the Diamond Infinite Edge. Used ones should be under $300 and they are adjustable from 5 to 70 lbs draw weight and 13 to 30 inches draw length.

Back
Top Bottom