• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Brisket

Rzr570

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Kroger had brisket on sale, so I picked up a nice 16lb slab.... actually smallest they had. Anybody got advice and/or recipe for smoking? I’ll be using my BGE.

trim it, salt it, pepper it, get your egg going, its critical to keep the temp constant on the egg. have at temp probe in the meat at all times. When it hits 210 pull it and wrap it. Stick it in a hot box and let it rest for a few hours. I use a Styrofoam cooler. its harder than it sounds. good luck and have fun

trim it, salt it, pepper it, get your egg going, its critical to keep the temp constant on the egg. have at temp probe in the meat at all times. When it hits 210 pull it and wrap it. Stick it in a hot box and let it rest for a few hours. I use a Styrofoam cooler. its harder than it sounds. good luck and have fun
Yeah, I know it’s not easy. Had my Egg for well over 15 years and never attempted. The price was right to give it a try and hell... I got the time. Lol

16 lbs sounds like a packer that has both the point and the flat. Here's how I would tackle it...
  • Trim fat down to ~1/4 inch, there's probably a big hunk at the seam where the point and flat meet, you can cut a good size wedge of fat from there as well
  • rub generously all over with medium to course grind pepper and salt
  • stabilize the egg at 225 degrees
  • if you have a digital thermometer with a probe that you can leave in place in the thickest part of the flat (the flat is the larger piece with the shorter grain, it's the bottom if the fat side is up)
  • I pull it somewhere around 198-200 degrees and wrap it tight in butcher paper. I'll either stick it in a cooler or wrap it in a moving blanket for a 2-3 hours.
  • I leave the flat and point together and slice 1/4" against the grain of the flat, ignoring the point grain. Some separate the flat and point before slicing, some cube the point and make burnt ends.
Enjoy! Leftovers freeze well BTW.

Back
Top Bottom