Browning Hi-Power Help needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
160   1
Reaction score
My son is interested in a hi-power. So I need some help with folks who actually have had them.

1) Are the older ones better or the newer ones?
2) Are any of the knock offs almost as good?
3) We held a brand new one and the trigger seemed to have a good amount of take up before engaging...are they all like that...can the take up be removed?

Any thoughts on the good the bad or the ugly would be great.

I've had both a newer Browning one, and a FEG copy.

1. IMHO the finish on the older ones is better, but if you go back to the very early ones (WWII and earlier) the steels might not be as good. I personally think the sweet spot is the 60's and 70's made pistols.
2. The FEG I had functioned as well, but the fit & finish wasn't as nice. You can get an Israeli trade-in for about the same price these days - more finish wear, but a better pistol.
3. The magazine disconnect makes getting a good trigger harder, but not impossible. Many people (me included) remove the disconnect, but a good gunsmith can get the trigger pretty good with it still in. Cylinder & Slide is one of the tops for customizing Hi-Powers.

I sorta regret selling mine, and would love to get another one at some time.

I have one made in 1985, made & assembled in Belgium. Personally I like the all Belgian made pistols over the ones assembled in Portugal and the FEG's. To me they are more desirable & valuable. Just my .02...........

Flyingfrog509,

My son (16) prefers to shoot my early 1970's 9mm Hi Power over all other 9mm's. If he still likes it when he is 18, I probably get him a newer one with the more durable finish.

(1) AR-trvlr hit the important issues and I agree that the really nice polished blue ones were produced in the 60's to early 80's all Belgium. They are getting harder to find and you can't even trade a Glock of the person's choice for a nice one today, dang it! Some of the older ones did come with adjustable sights, mine came with older G.I. style sights that I replaced with MMC's. The newer Hi-Powers have better combat style sights.
(2)The only copy cat clone I had really considered was the Charles Daly. The older FEG's just didn't catch me as they look like a close copy cat rather than a clone. http://gunner777.wordpress.com/2007/09/30/the-charles-daly-hi-power-compared-to-the-browning-hi-power/
(3)See above

Last edited:
My avatar is my Belgium made 62 Hi Power. Given to me by my father 3 days before he died in Dec 09. I learned to shoot with it. 3 of my 4 sons have done the same. My most prized possession, and that's over all my collectables ( relics, artifacts, Rolex.
Has never misfired as long as I've been around or shot it.

Never owned another, so I cannot comment on that.

Just find yourself one of these, pay the asking price and never look back. You won't regret it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom