Build or Buy a 10mm 1911?

If you’ve never built a 1911 and you want to do it right, you will likely be into it more than $700 in just tools and jigs.

I would say do a polymer 80% Glock. Buy the frame kit (or a printer and make one). Lower parts kit, slide, barrel, etc. should be under $600 or so and get to pick parts you like.

If you’ve never built a 1911 and you want to do it right, you will likely be into it more than $700 in just tools and jigs.

I would say do a polymer 80% Glock. Buy the frame kit (or a printer and make one). Lower parts kit, slide, barrel, etc. should be under $600 or so and get to pick parts you like.

But then all you have is a Glock.

But then all you have is a Glock.
True. and if you don’t like it you can get what you spent on the parts (give or take) back out. It will have a good grip angle as well.

But 1911s require hand fitting on basically all the parts. So once you do that, nobody pays a premium for fit parts. So best case you’re ~$2k into a gun that’s worth maybe $600. You’ve learned something but it’s not financially viable. Look at that 1911 on the home page. Who would pay $2k for a home job of questionable origin, even if he has near $3k into it. That’s actual custom/semi custom gun territory.

I’ve done it. It’s still cheaper to buy a decent 1911 and maybe make some custom
Changes if you really can’t leave well enough alone.

There are other options besides a Glock 20 10mm. XDM 10mm, Ruger Revolver 10mm, the New S&W M&P 10mm, EAA Witness 10mm, Many 1911s. A few others I think

I agree. Building a Polymer 80 in 10mm will give you something to do and after you have finished builinding it you will have a 15 shot 10mm that has the grip angle of a 1911 and the easy parts acquisition of a Gen 3 Glock. Every part is your choice and Brownell's, EBAY are easy sources. I built both a G19 and G17 which are both great shooters. Another nice thing is that you can start with the lower and "build" the pistol on your budget, over time. I will say that building a Polymer80 is not a "bargain", as all the parts you need add up. I figured my G17 and G19 cost me around $450 each as you have to buy the barrel, slide and parts kit.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom