• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bushy tail advice

ajmiller22

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
11   0
Reaction score
So deer season is over for me, unless I go back home to Alabama and intrude on family and old friends. I had a very good year, my greatest in terms of filling the freezer...just wasn’t able to seal the deal on my local big buck before my neighbor punched his ticket...oh well. But I was able to fill 6 tags myself...then put my nephew on a good buck, and got to watch from my tree stand about 75 yards away when he put the hammer on his first wall hanger. A good 9pt, about 185lbs live weight. Also got to take both of my daughters, 7&9, with me into the deer woods, their first time actively “deer hunting” and was able to put a young doe down with them. Great memories.

So all that to say this. I’ve got a nephew and 2 daughters that aren’t ready to put the camo up for the winter. And as much fun as I have deer hunting, it can become monotonous and very easy to start to feel “pressure” to bag a deer. I find myself pretty exhausted after about 4.5 months of not enough sleep, poor eating habits, etc....so I’m wanting to take them squirrel hunting, teach some woodsmanship skills, and have a good time with family. Maybe get a limit of bushy tails between the 3 of us, for the crock pot or frying pan.

DEFINITELY NOT asking for anyone’s honey hole. I’ve seen plenty of squirrels on my small place, but am gonna hold off on them until my girls are ready to shoot their own squirrels, probably next year. I’m just asking if any of you in the NW corner saw a good number of squirrels this deer or small game season around Pigeon Mountain, Taylor’s Ridge, John’s Mtn or anywhere else in that vicinity. We’re just wanting to get out and see some new country. Thanks for any advice.

Don’t worry about killing them on your place,they will replenish themselves.they will produce whatever the food source provides.

Lol you could kill every squirrel you saw this year and you will still see them in that same place the next. Kill them all

Back
Top Bottom