Calling all Eggheads.. and normal ODT hooligans.. STEAK opinions!

Anybody ever try dry aging steaks in the refrigerator? I'm thinking about getting another rib roast and dry aging for 28 days.

20181209_170117.jpg

years ago....early 1970s, I worked at a midwestern steak chain called the Boar's Head, the best selling steak was a marinated sirloin called Falstaff's Favorite. About 12 ounces, chunk of meat about the size of your hand, minus the fingers. Can't recall what all was in the marinade, but it included orange halves, cheap red wine and they soaked the steaks overnight in big Rubbermaid tubs in the cooler. Nasty looking but the steaks were really tender and flavorful, and a fairly cheap cut of meat. Maybe the marinade recipe is on line....I haven't looked. The restaurants have been out of business for 30 years or more.

years ago....early 1970s, I worked at a midwestern steak chain called the Boar's Head, the best selling steak was a marinated sirloin called Falstaff's Favorite. About 12 ounces, chunk of meat about the size of your hand, minus the fingers. Can't recall what all was in the marinade, but it included orange halves, cheap red wine and they soaked the steaks overnight in big Rubbermaid tubs in the cooler. Nasty looking but the steaks were really tender and flavorful, and a fairly cheap cut of meat. Maybe the marinade recipe is on line....I haven't looked. The restaurants have been out of business for 30 years or more.
**** I'll at least try to look it up

Took me a minute but I found it!

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/main-course-steaks-chops/falstaff-steak.html

I keep some finishing butter in the fridge and use it on lots of things. It’s great on steaks. I really love it finishing a big tomahawk ribeye. I cut the tops off heads of garlic. I drizzle them with olive oil and wrap them in a little piece of foil. Put them on a cookie sheet and into the oven for about an hour at 350. Once they cool enough to handle squeeze out the roasted garlic. Mash it up and mix with whipped butter. It’s good on everything. And your house will smell so good when you’re roasting the garlic. They should make air freshener with that scent.

Little different and not expensive. We get Flank Steak and soak in Teriyaki. Cooks pretty fast, would be awesome seared. Then you slice it up against the grain. Both ends are med-well and the middle will be rare if you do it right. So nice one piece of meat suits about everybody.

Back
Top Bottom