• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Can i fire these in my shotgun?

Npowers66

Default rank <5000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
358   1
Reaction score
I have a mossberg 590. Smooth bore of course. I know i can fire riffled slugs, but i realized it says "magnum rifled slugs" they are 2 3/4 1 oz. I am just wondering about the " Magnum". does it just mean magnum pressure? thanks for the help.

slug1.jpgslug2.jpg

Sure can, if it was a 3" magnum you could'nt (unless the barrel was so marked). I shoot/hunt deer-hog in heavy woods/swamps with those, a small branch or leaf won't make the slug deviate like a rifle bullet. P.S : They're good for HD too !

Yup, the 590 was designed to fire slugs. I had this same question when i got my 590 so I called Mossberg and was told it'd fire ALL the factory loads. The 500 can't fire 3" magnum but according to Mossberg the 590 can, what they told me over the phone.

Yup, the 590 was designed to fire slugs. I had this same question when i got my 590 so I called Mossberg and was told it'd fire ALL the factory loads. The 500 can't fire 3" magnum but according to Mossberg the 590 can, what they told me over the phone.

What? I shoot 3" all the time in my 500 and my Maverick 88. Cant shoot 3.5s but 3" is perfectly fine.

What? I shoot 3" all the time in my 500 and my Maverick 88. Cant shoot 3.5s but 3" is perfectly fine.

Then thats what your gun is chambered for, a 3" shell should not go into a 2 3/4" chamber for safety reasons. Your barrel should be marked 3'' chamber if you can load 3'' into it. A chambered 3" barrel CAN safely shoot 2 3/4" shells but you may have a few cycling problems.

Last edited:
Magnum is an over used term to describe anything larger than normal or in the case of ammo more powerful than standard. Used to describe a 2 3/4 shot shell or slug, it means loaded heavier than a standard 2 3/4 . Mossberg 500 are typically all rated for up to 3". The 835 and other more recent additions including some Remingtons marked super magnum shoot up to 3 1/2' shells. Any shotgun that is designed for a 3' shell can fire 2 3/4" or 3". The problem is when someone puts a Magnum barrel on a non magnum receiver, like a Remington 870. The 870 has been produced in standard and magnum and the receiver is usually marked Magnum. The standard 870 receiver will cycle and fire a magnum shell, but because the ejection port is smaller it may not eject 3" shells properly.

Back
Top Bottom