Canning/Pickling, its not just for grandmas and dirty hipsters

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have been getting pretty big into canning lately, and I know some of yall have also, so I thought we could talk about it in here.

In another recent thread regarding big game a member suggested canning deer meat, and other types of meat, and I think this is a great idea and skill most preppers should learn about. I didnt know until about 6 months ago that meat could be processed in cans for long term storage at home; I thought that was something limited to veggies and fruits and stuff. Low and behold, most every kind of meat can be canned by itself or in recipes using the same equipment used to can anything else.

One does need a pressure canner for any low-acid foods, including meat and some veggies. Water bath/hot water canning and pickling does not apply and is not safe. Botulism is bad news in a SHTF scenario, keep that in mind!! Botulism causes paralysis, including the involuntary systems (respiration, circulation), and usually requires a person to be on a ventilator for weeks at a time until an antitoxin (only available through the CDC) has time to work. With no CDC and no ventilator, you die.

So, what have yall been canning lately? We did a few cans of spaghetti sauce last weekend, some with hamburger meat and some with okra. Also a lot of onions, potatoes, green beans, and peppers lately. A few weeks ago we did chicken noodle soup which turned out amazing. This weekend we are going to do a batch of dog food with all of our meat and veggy leftovers we have been saving up, there are a few recipes out there for dog food out there, once we go through it I might link to a few of the ones we used as a reference if anyone is interested.

Hadn't canned anything in several months. The last thing i canned was some beef, pork an chicken. Spending this week sorting and arranging my stash. Have in excess of 500 jars including veggies, jams, meats and pickles.

Note: About the only things safe to can in a boiling water bath canner are pickles, jams and some tomato recipes.
Always check : Canning Guidelines.

We have jars of meatloaf, chicken, chicken and wild rice, pork, 1 1/4 " pork chops partially grilled and canned with apple (or pineapple) and rice. That and the apples and blueberries from the back yard. Not to mention if leftovers are a bit plentiful they get canned. I forgot the stuffed cabbage rolls...... If it grows the wife is looking for a way to can it.

I have plans to start canning. Got my garden bed almost ready for planting. Going to get a pressure canner with my next overtime pay. Got a grandma on speed dial just in case.

We have jars of meatloaf, chicken, chicken and wild rice, pork, 1 1/4 " pork chops partially grilled and canned with apple (or pineapple) and rice. That and the apples and blueberries from the back yard. Not to mention if leftovers are a bit plentiful they get canned. I forgot the stuffed cabbage rolls...... If it grows the wife is looking for a way to can it.

What are you doing to prep the rice, cooking/over-cooking it so it doesnt expand much? i have heard rice is possible but pretty tricky so I havent looked into it much.

i just started canning last summer from the garden and just did pickled cucumbers....i had a lot of cucumbers and actually just finished my last jar of pickles last weak...i don't know much, but i did notice that the last batch was significantly "softer" than the first ones. they didn't have the same crisp "crunch" that pickles are supposed to have.

any ideas? i think i may have heated them for too long, or maybe that's what happens to them after a while, i don't know

Back
Top Bottom