• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Canoe Camping

Bryan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
184   0
Reaction score
Does anyone know of some place to go camping you have to get to by canoe? I want to go camping for a few days. I want to take plenty of comfort and good food hence the canoe. Another reason for the canoe is I want to be somewhere you cannot drive to, NO campsites. I do not understand how anyone can enjoy themselves in one.

Get on the Etowah Brian. Put in around Old Federal or even at Yellow Creek and there is a nice island oasis past 372 a ways that you will have all to yourself. I've been there twice and its very secluded and by canoe only. Plenty of room to drag canoe up and very level to pitch a tent.
A good take out is at the chicken plant on East Cherokee. The whole trip is 8-10hrs so its perfect to break it up with an overnight.

Thanks guys. I really like the idea of an island. I would really like to find a lake so I can paddle out and back without the hassle of putting in one place and coming out somewhere else.

Then.......you could put in Etowah/Allatoona at Knox Bridge (GA 20) and paddle around to Allatoona WMA. Should be alone and secluded down by the shoreline.

Thanks guys. I really like the idea of an island. I would really like to find a lake so I can paddle out and back without the hassle of putting in one place and coming out somewhere else.
it's not that big of a hassle if you plan it right. floating down stream to an unknown destination is an adventure worth the hassle. or you could mount a trolling motor and head upstream.

One thing you need to think about, islands are nice but they tend to attrack snakes (water mocassons), especially at night. Most people don't realize it but rattlesnakes swim too and both will be attracked to a campfire.

Get on the Etowah Brian. Put in around Old Federal or even at Yellow Creek and there is a nice island oasis past 372 a ways that you will have all to yourself. I've been there twice and its very secluded and by canoe only. Plenty of room to drag canoe up and very level to pitch a tent.
A good take out is at the chicken plant on East Cherokee. The whole trip is 8-10hrs so its perfect to break it up with an overnight.

That is looking doable. I live close enough to there to be able to call someone to come get us at the take out when we get there. What is the river like on that stretch?

Back
Top Bottom