Career change to Gunsmithing

My dad was a national Match Armorer while in the army and later was a civil service gunsmith for the All Army Marksmanship unit. He always spoke highly of the rookie smiths coming from the trinidad junior college gunsmiths school. Through the years he trained many new gunsmiths in the ways of the marksmanship units. I looked it up recently and notice they now have short courses you can take during the summer months that are anywhere from a week to 2 weeks. Might try one of these short courses and work on your own guns and get some training. The courses are taught in Trinidad, Colorado so its not close. The courses are taught by NRA smiths from around the country, web site is http://nra.trinidadstate.edu/.

As mentioned already, working on your own firearms may be a great start to learning about the tools,techniques, parts, and steps in performing this work. We snapped a lot of photos and video of ours, then started disassembling them, continuing to photo and video. Ultimately ending up with a table full of parts. Another route we took on one was to perform a step then reverse it. IE, take the steps necessary to replace a stripping lever, then put everything back, then the steps to replace again, then everything back together. So instead of a table of parts we had mostly a firearm and some of the parts removed. Wasn't long before we didn't need to consult a guide/notes/photo/video.

I have the ashworth college books, just finished couple months ago. They cover some of the more common guns like remington 700/win mod 70, marlin 30-30, 870/1100, s&w/ruger revolvers, 1911 and couple others. Technically can say a gunsmith now but by no means would I claim to be because of online class. But is good foundation to start with as I only care to work with certain guns as I can but has good information on some may run across. My biggest asset towards gunsmithing is time at school and job in machine shop. And some experience hands on so far. I wish there was a hands on course could take within reasonable distance. Or shop to work at

Back
Top Bottom