• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Case trimming in general

Wow! .001 or so is understandable ... but what you are experiencing seems to be a lot....

Most (adjustable) trimmers are set-up to "set" using a pattern case that is the proper length. You use it to set-up the adjustments. Obviously, if you don't you have one, then that's a problem. However, Calipers are your insurance ... use them!

lol forgot a zero there. After the discussion I really think that it is happening somewhere in the re-sizing stage.

Double check the adjustment of the resizing die and make certain that it is "locked down" on the turret with its adjustment ring-nut ... otherwise they will back-out on you. I've seen problems with using the wrong shell holder as well. Going "back to the basics" and double checking the proper adjustment of every die station is always a good idea as it eliminates a lot of potential problems.

We also assume that you are using a Full-Length Resizing Die (not just resizing the shoulder ,,, which would create the problem you are experiencing).

Double check the adjustment of the resizing die and make certain that it is "locked down" on the turret with its adjustment ring-nut ... otherwise they will back-out on you. I've seen problems with using the wrong shell holder as well. Going "back to the basics" and double checking the proper adjustment of every die station is always a good idea as it eliminates a lot of potential problems.

We also assume that you are using a Full-Length Resizing Die (not just resizing the shoulder ,,, which would create the problem you are experiencing).
Yes, make sure the die you are using is a FL sizing die AND that it is adjusted and not backing out(a lock ring helps a lot). I also agree with Clark, just get the Harbor Freight drill, they are uber cheap and do a pretty good job.

I use the Dillon electric trimmer and sizer

one operation for both.. cuts so clean no need to chamfer the case

set is with a case die to headspace is never an issue

UPDATE: So I went back through and checked the setup. Everything was good with the resizing die. I went through and double pumped each case through the resizing die. It seems that helped. Then with some trial and error I was able to manually adjust the trimmer. All cases coming out spot on, + or - .002. Loaded up another 20 rounds for a test run.

Thanks for all of the advice. I will be getting that drill press sooner or later though.

your on the right track. your real variance is in headspace "sizing variance"

floating shoulder= floating case length bc your trimmer is indexing off your shoulder

now on to the root cause of variance in headspace.

think tolerance stack

turret press
unequal lube application
lack of annealing. some brass is harder "springs back" some is softer "conforms"

many things can effect headspace. alot of people talk about getting them all dead nutz but few if any maintain that standard. at the end of the day a couple thousands either way of your target headspace really doesnt matter anyway.

as far as coal. i use neck plugs from sinclair and hornady case gauges and measure my chambers trim brass .030 off that and maintain that spec. that way your not hacking off more then you need and your not too close "very dangerous"

i run a giraud and they are WELL worth the cost. and particularly in your cas with the BOut you would be all smiles watchin giraud brink the conversion cases into spec.

hope this helps

Final result!

Converted .223 cases ( 1.355 +/- .002)
Primer- CCI 41
Powder- Hodgdon 4198 (10.9 gr)
210 gr Berger VLD target bullets
COL- 2.240 (+/- .002)
Fired from a Daniel Defense 10.5" upper, assembled lower, AAC 762SDN6.

[video=youtube_share;KtpSASI9Aq0]http://youtu.be/KtpSASI9Aq0[/video]

I don't load the 300 BLK but for every other bottleneck brass that I process I use the el-cheapo LEE gauge and cutter setup. It is a pain in the butt and very time consuming if you have a lot of brass but since I have nothing but time since I retired, I am in no hurry. I do use a cordless drill to chuck the shell holder stud and before I remove the brass from it, I de-burr and chamfer it also. I again use the el-cheapo LEE chamfer tool for it.

A couple of years ago, I bought one of the RCBS trimmers and I just never could get it set the same twice in a row, after changing to another caliber, and the brass would slip out of the shell holder. I sold it and went back to using the LEE gauge and cutter.

Back
Top Bottom