Caught my first "big" trout last week

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
Went fishing last Monday and caught a decent rainbow. She was dropping eggs.There were a couple males around her that were somewhere around 23-26". They wouldn't strike at anything I had. In fact, she wouldn't either. A nice fellow from Conyers came by and gave me a lure to try, and she hit it on the first cast. Way different that catching fresh stockers!

She was just under 19", and around 2 or 2.5 lbs.

The guy from Conyers said his buddy caught one the day before that was over 5 lbs.

2014-12-01 18.09.56-1.jpg

The lure was (is, because he refused to take it back :) ) a rainbow rapala I don't know the number, but it was about 2" long. funny thing is I watched the larger male chase off a rainbow around 8", and he had half of it in his mouth. If I had a striper lure, I'd have probably caught him.

I usually fish with nightcrawlers or power bait. The males would move out of the way of powerboat coming down stream. I had a couple roost tails that garnered no attention either.

I caught her at the bridge at Soque River near Batesville. Best part was my buddy that always catches more fish didn't catch anything.

The lure was (is, because he refused to take it back :) ) a rainbow rapala I don't know the number, but it was about 2" long. funny thing is I watched the larger male chase off a rainbow around 8", and he had half of it in his mouth. If I had a striper lure, I'd have probably caught him.

I usually fish with nightcrawlers or power bait. The males would move out of the way of powerboat coming down stream. I had a couple roost tails that garnered no attention either.

I caught her at the bridge at Soque River near Batesville. Best part was my buddy that always catches more fish didn't catch anything.
Yep, it works. As does the brown trout colored one. Nice guy to let you have it. They don't exactly give those away at the store. :)

Yeah, I enjoyed the conversation with the fellow about as much as catching the fish. He even threw his net to me to pull the big girl in. Good thing he did, because as soon as I got her in the net the lure was laying in the net next to her.

Nice Rainbow OP. Wouldn't that Rapala be around a #3 in size?
If you can find them, Bagley's made a "Bang O' Lure in rainbow trout color. It was 1.5-2" long and would suspend instead of rising up when you stopped during your retrieve. Sometimes they would kill it when it was suspended and just sitting there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom