• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

CB Noobie needs help

thehaitian0341

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
Good Morning ODT,
My father got me a nice Cobra (will post model number shortly) CB radio which we installed in my truck. The radio itself functions properly, I can get incoming traffic, I can get weather, etc, etc. However, I cannot broadcast out. I have 2 mic's, so I thought it might be a mic problem, but neither mic broadcasts (and I doubt I have two faulty new mic's).

Antennae is a cobra magnet cellphone style antennae. Not the best, but it's temporary and I had it laying in the garage. Any idea's as to why I'm not able to broadcast out? (I have yet to tune the antennae, but still I should be able to pick up a crappy signal off my scanner).

Thanks,
theHaitian

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I know with my old Cobra I was able to listen but my transmit was really really garbled until I got a better antenna and had it tuned. The all steel one I had didn't seem to work but I bought a firestik and went to the CB shop and he was able to get everything working in a couple of minutes.

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I know with my old Cobra I was able to listen but my transmit was really really garbled until I got a better antenna and had it tuned. The all steel one I had didn't seem to work but I bought a firestik and went to the CB shop and he was able to get everything working in a couple of minutes.

Yea, I'm thinking it's a mix of the crappy little antenna and needing tuning. I'm gonna get that fixed tomorrow.

10 yrs experience with CB Radios I highly recommend a KB-30 antenna which is a magnet mount and doesn't require tuning if your radio has a SWR tune button which will do away with cutting and height adjustment of the base of the whip. The KB30 best price I have seen is on Amazon delivered to your door.It would help a lil more if you post the model and manufacture year of your Cobra radio.

dang , now my mike on my cobra just wen't out this week .
Good Morning ODT,
My father got me a nice Cobra (will post model number shortly) CB radio which we installed in my truck. The radio itself functions properly, I can get incoming traffic, I can get weather, etc, etc. However, I cannot broadcast out. I have 2 mic's, so I thought it might be a mic problem, but neither mic broadcasts (and I doubt I have two faulty new mic's).

Antennae is a cobra magnet cellphone style antennae. Not the best, but it's temporary and I had it laying in the garage. Any idea's as to why I'm not able to broadcast out? (I have yet to tune the antennae, but still I should be able to pick up a crappy signal off my scanner).

Thanks,
theHaitian

Back
Top Bottom