• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

CBOB Grip Downgrade

What would you do?

• Leave em plain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DWs are junk anyway. Give it to Goodwill

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RdKill

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
So I find myself carrying my CBOB more and more and I don't want to screw up the factory grips. So, I found some cheap plain grips on ebay for 8 bucks. I'm going to refinish them a little darker. And, so they won't look so bland, I also bought a couple of conchos representing my home state to inset. Before I start drilling and recessing, should I put one on each side or just put one on the right side panel?

Here's the CBOB with factory grips I want to put up and preserve while they are still like new...

8 dollar ebay grips before refinishing. Heck they aren't even here yet.

concho or conchos to be inset into the upper part of either the right panel or both panels....still can't decide.

Well...That didn't work. After spending 14 bucks on a forstner bit...There's no way to make the concho lay flat in the inset and look good. I ended up tossing the grips and the conchos. So...Instead, I went to my spare parts drawer and found some old burly maple grips and whacked the back side off on my miter saw ...after practicing on an old crappy set. What finally worked, I think quite well, was to mark the cut on the back side of the grip, cut straight through and then sand the bobtail angle in on the show side with 120 grit sandpaper. All attempts to cut from the front side, failed. A dab of tung oil rubbed on the cut part and I'm in business. Except now my holster doesn't match at all. Shopping for a tan leather open top now :)

Back
Top Bottom