• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ccw idea

RELOADER

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
17   0
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been asked by a few friends to do a little class on CCW and gun safety.
In the last few months 2 murders have occured in our area and it has everyone thinking of protecting themselves.
I have carried and trained with weapons for over 10 years and have went through the NRA range course as well. I do not currently hold any kind of license or certification. So my question. Would it be legal for me to do a class and could I be held liable for anything in the future? I would very much like to do a class and educate them on gun safety and reasons to carry. Nothing worse than having folks carrying weapons around who have no training or clue as to the depth of thier decision making. No fees or stuff just a class with family and close friends.
Thoughts?

Not sure of the "legality" but I have done them for ladies at our church. As long as you are not charging or promoting yourself as certified or professional then you are making no claims which would garner liability.

I don't see a problem so long as it's not for personal gain and you're upfront about your background. Maybe it will be enough of a spark to get the folks interested in going to a professional class. In fact, I'd probably present it as a "primer" and recommend that they continue their training with a pro. But something's got to get them interested.

Yea I don't need any cash and most are related to me. Just feel like a class on weapon safety and thier decision to carry would be beter than nothing.

Sending some good info their way can't hurt. Good grief otherwise, they might get suggestions off the internet! :)

Honestly, I'd do the same thing if the people I know were interested. Unfortunately they're really not. The .38 I bought for my wife to carry is listed for sale right now because in the last few years she has not come around.

Passing sound gun knowledge on from individual experienced to the inexperienced is how it was done before the NRA training and the multitude of professional courses.

Teach the basics-KISS.

I typically print a copy of Georgia's use of force and discuss rules of engagement (ROE) and make sure the person understands the ROE. Castle doctrine, stand your ground and (communistic) duty to retreat laws are also discussed before any shooting occurs.

I personally drill safety and the basic rules of safe gun handling. Train good grip positioning, don't want no bloody thumbs. Work trigger control/accuracy at short distances 3-7-10 yards. Reloading, unloading their gun safely. I also discuss briefly ammo and the difference between target type ammo vs. SD ammo.

If able I use a .22 LR as the starter gun for training newbs to break them easy before I hand them the .44 Magnum derringer to shoot..... :becky: Just kidding, I use mostly target type loadings that are very comfortable to shoot for the most part.

Experienced gun coaches are invaluable on the range. There is a lot of personal satisfaction obtained in empowering the elderly or weak from becoming victims or worse. I'm most satisfied when I take a person who was more anti-gun and bring back over the fence to actually enjoy shooting safely while learning a critical skill.

I also enjoy taking the first targets and comparing them to the last targets, take pictures!

Former anti-gun mother and still current heath care provider. She's looking forward to returning to Georgia to shoot some more.

i58.tinypic.com_jz905t.jpg

Back
Top Bottom