• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Children & Guns Don't Mix

I have five kids and many more guns. I have taught my kids, and anyone coming to my house that every gun in my home is loaded and should be treated as such. Our guns are not a mystery to my kids, they know that all they have to do is ask, and they can shoot their pistol or rifle. Mystery causes problems, take the mystery out of things and suddenly it's no longer a challenge to kids. I know this, because my father practiced it with us.
To test my kids, the younger ones, my wife and I left a Glock 19 on the living room floor (unloaded), and monitored their reaction from the camera in our living room. They did just what they were taught to do, they discovered it, confided in each other out loud, "that's dad's gun", and came running for my wife and I. That was a few years ago. Now each has their own pistol and rifle and can shoot them, knowing all they have to do is ask. No mystery, no problems. I only put my guns in the safe to protect them from theft. Guns are part of the landscape in our house, just like a blender or toaster, except next to our toaster is a Glock 19 in a holster mounted to the wall!

I have five kids and many more guns. I have taught my kids, and anyone coming to my house that every gun in my home is loaded and should be treated as such. Our guns are not a mystery to my kids, they know that all they have to do is ask, and they can shoot their pistol or rifle. Mystery causes problems, take the mystery out of things and suddenly it's no longer a challenge to kids. I know this, because my father practiced it with us.
To test my kids, the younger ones, my wife and I left a Glock 19 on the living room floor (unloaded), and monitored their reaction from the camera in our living room. They did just what they were taught to do, they discovered it, confided in each other out loud, "that's dad's gun", and came running for my wife and I. That was a few years ago. Now each has their own pistol and rifle and can shoot them, knowing all they have to do is ask. No mystery, no problems. I only put my guns in the safe to protect them from theft. Guns are part of the landscape in our house, just like a blender or toaster, except next to our toaster is a Glock 19 in a holster mounted to the wall!
Grew up the same way. My kids same way. It's the random unaware guest in the house that are a concern.

Update: These were still on sale in Kennesaw today. Picked one up & installed it. First attempt to program custom combo didn't take, but the second try worked perfectly. We found that entering the combo in a slow is smooth, smooth is fast manner worked best, and took every time. Going too fast tended to not register all presses, and this was repeatable. Best bet is to practice practice practice to get the timing down to where it takes every press. I'll be putting a reminder on my calendar to replace batteries regularly to keep them fresh. At $100, I'd be so-so about it, but probably still a keeper. At $60, I think it's a great deal provided you practice the combo cadence & keep the batteries fresh.

Back
Top Bottom