chopping a shotgun barrel?

Here is some info I got some someone who has done this before...

Avoid a hacksaw or die grinder like the plague. I use my bench grinder with a rough stone (160 stone) for the cut. Measure it about 10 times and still cut through about 1/2" long. Use the smooth side (320 stone) and slowly roll the barrel at a VERY shallow angle around the crown to get the crown edge you want. Once you have the edge set...use a dremel with a green stone to even all the edges VERY slowly and a little bit at a time. When you have the length and crown you want then switch to 320 grit sand paper and do a finish polish on it. Clean the hell out of the barrel and finish it however you want.

I picked up a 18.5 " barrel from Mossberg in Tx for 75.00 shipped. Was then able to sell my longer barrel on here for 60.00. Took me all of 10 minutes to switch the barrels.

yeah, I'm going to call mossberg and order one. If this went like most of my projects, I'd have $200 in new tools to get the $15 job done. Thanks for the replies anyway!

i just cut my one of my 28" single shot down to 20" ... cold blued it. A local smith said $15 to drill tap and rebead it for me.

Back
Top Bottom