• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CMMG AR15 .22 upper accuracy issues

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
11143217_10203011319803129_3792438254035249887_n.jpg

This is at 30 yards, seated position, elbow resting on my shooters table and thumb on one of the pillars to steady the rifle. Frankly I get better groups at 100 yards with the same ammo in my 22/45 .22 pistol.

I've read some and found some people got great groups with their uppers, others not so much. I've found that there are two what seem to be plausible issues. One was that some barrels had microscopic imperfections and a Hoppes Tornado brush and some light polishing compound with a drill in the barrel solved the issue.. this seems like a bad idea to me, isn't that going to kill the rifling? the other was that some of the barrels left the factory without a proper barrel crown. I took my flash suppressor off and checked the crown, the barrel is recessed but it doesn't appear to have a proper crown on it. I plan on taking it to dobbs to solve this issue, but could an improper barrel crown really cause this much inconsistency?

I bought the upper used and there was a bunch of what seemed to be lead fouling inside the recessed area at the end of the barrel so I'm going to pop off some more rounds at a target tonight and see if that might have helped some. Any other advice as to possibilities and/or solutions? I have a PSA 9mm AR and I can put holes on holes at 30 yards with my cheap tasco red dot, and get about a 4 1/2-5" group at 100 (I really cant see that far without a magnified optic. My eyes are horribly bad, I get better groups with a scope) Target for reference is an 8"

I wish I could help you out, but this one is beyond me.

My dedicated .22 AR is an Anderson upper, CMMG bolt and a 16" Taccom M4 profile barrel. I've never had any accuracy issues like yours.

Hope you can get it straightened out!

Might just need a really good cleaning, especially near the crown.

I have a cmmg 20" upper and its dead nuts accurate. I do have to clean the bolt more than I would like or I'll have feeding and extraction issues.

And double check all your mounts for the scope. And try it with iron sights to eliminate the scope being the problem.

similar groups with the irons, all mounts are tight. I have yet to have a feed or extraction issue with mine. its been very reliable other than accuracy. Scope came off my MKII FV when I got a nicer one for it and I was getting MOA groups at 100 yards with it

My CMMG .22 upper on a Trading Place Pawn Lower shoots better than me.
While I can get little better groups on my 5.56, it's mainly due to having a Geissele SSA-E on it vs the stock trigger group i took out and now lives in the TPP lower.

I did pull the flash hider to check the barrel crown and it was all kinds of nasty and fouled up. Apparently the flash hider works pretty good at trapping crud from falling free of the gun. After cleaning it thoroughly the barrel while recessed at the end was not crowned (in fact its a fairly sharp edge compared to the smooth end of my Savage FV and my Ruger 22/45). Accuracy came up a little after cleaning but I still cant reliably hit a soda can at 25 yards. I've already talked with dobbs and when I have a free day I'm going to drop it off with him for a while so he can give the barrel a proper crown for me. I've seen the do it yourself youtube vids where people have had good success doing it themselves, but I ask Bryan a lot of stupid questions and it seems something very important to accuracy and I'd rather have it done right, and with all the crap he fields from me I owe him some money :lol:

Back
Top Bottom