Colt Police Positive - Gunsmith Question

AC-130 Above

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
153   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20 with some issues.

The cylinder does not lock up right. You can just push open the cylinder with your hands without manipulating the lock. Also I noticed the cylinder is looser than it should be when the hammer is cocked. I know some play is normal but it seems to be a little much.

What parts do you think I need to check out or replace?

The third picture down I am pulling back on the cylinder lock

Any help is very much appreciated. I also have no idea on when this was made but I'd guess 1910-1920s

A2CF1AAD-8E08-483D-94E8-6AC10F27E109.jpeg
2857E31D-060B-4B68-BA50-4F305CD2CD31.jpeg
393B4893-6041-4B2A-BC84-BC97145EB0A0.jpeg
E7AE1075-9F0B-4B4E-95DF-C72944E2566C.jpeg

Not a Colt guy here, lean more toward Smiths so just my view from the pics. First would clean out
the area in the center of the ejector star , looks awful dirty or full of crud that might interfere with lock up.
Next would clean up the recoil shield, area above firing pin etc. If clean up doesnt work, guessing some springs
are worn such as thumb latch spring. Would take to a gunsmith that knows Colts as last resort.

Not a Colt guy here, lean more toward Smiths so just my view from the pics. First would clean out
the area in the center of the ejector star , looks awful dirty or full of crud that might interfere with lock up.
Next would clean up the recoil shield, area above firing pin etc. If clean up doesnt work, guessing some springs
are worn such as thumb latch spring. Would take to a gunsmith that knows Colts as last resort.
Thanks for reply. I’ll try and clean/lube it up. Not much crud just worn out metal

That old Colt has been rode hard and put up wet. It’s going to more than likely need a lot of not-inexpensive parts and labor.

The ratchet on the back of the cylinder is badly peened.

The firing pin hole in the frame is worn and elongated.

Someone has taken a file to the inside of the frame in the recoil shield area.

I’ve a feeling that the chamber and bore are at least as bad as the exterior.

Put her out to pasture and use her as a wallhanger.

That old Colt has been rode hard and put up wet. It’s going to more than likely need a lot of not-inexpensive parts and labor.

The ratchet on the back of the cylinder is badly peened.

The firing pin hole in the frame is worn and elongated.

Someone has taken a file to the inside of the frame in the recoil shield area.

I’ve a feeling that the chamber and bore are at least as bad as the exterior.

Put her out to pasture and use her as a wallhanger.
Think she’s too far gone huh? Figured it would just need some new springs, new cylinder lock etc. when you say file in the shield area, not sure if I see what you are referring too. I cleaned it up after pics and it’s not as dirty as before. The bore is overall OK rifling is all there, some minor pitting.

The firing pin hole being elongated would be an issue?

cmshoot is right. The ratchet looks as if it's been beaten with a ball peen hammer. Unless I miss my guess, the pawl (cylinder index) is worn to a nub and rounded over and the cylinder latch or "stop" is probably worn away too. Springs would help a bit but if the pictures are a reflection of actual condition, that's a wall hanger.

Back
Top Bottom