• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt Python

Carmelfight

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
103   0
Reaction score
COLT PYTHON! Enough said!

The Python is regarded as the greatest production DA revolver ever created. It took many countless hours from master gunsmiths from Colt to create these timeless pieces. I will be going over the pros and cons of the Colt Python so others can see if they would like to get their hands on one.

Pros:
1) Its a Colt in a time where beauty and function meant something.
2) Colt Royal Blue has always tried to be duplicated but never replicated. The blueing will cause awes and ooos and jealousy!
3) The cocking of the hammer is like rubbing silk together with your fingers. Something that would cost hundreds of dollars to do on others and even than nothing like a python action.
4) Colts "bank vault" cylinder as in NO movement what so ever while firing.
5) A firearm that MANY people have sought after... blame the walking dead lol.

Cons:
1) EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) A 6 shooter still a revolver
3) Colt stopped production of the snake revolvers so what's out there is it.
4) Heavy and in this day an age not practical for much
5) Its beauty is also a double edge, nicks and wear depreciates value substantially.

Thoughts:
The Colt Python has been under scrutiny since its birth. Reports of malfunctions and "fragile" build. Many Pythons have not been maintained properly, the so called hand breakage making timing issues a problem... Suggesting that the Colt Python is a fragile revolver.... BS! Many people compare Colts to the other great revolver maker S&W. Anyone who is into revolvers know Colts were the elite, S&W were for the working man, robust and not refine as a Colt. Which is perfectly fine! The problem with the Pythons were because of all the hand fitting parts they were very prone to high maintenance costs. Example a competition shooter who shoots thousands upon thousands of rounds, causing timing issues and to fix those issues costs hundreds of dollars because those parts were hand fitted and polished to perfection. While S&W revolvers that had timing issues, were easier to fix and much cheaper. These problems found their way to web and "stories" spread of their catastrophic failures.... Buy S&W revolvers.....lol. Guess it was a very good marketing plan... Colt no longer produces revolvers while S&W still produces them? Regardless the Colt Python is an extremely well built revolver. Their are videos on YouTube that go in depth in dissembling a Python to the last screw showing all the individual parts and you'll understand what made the Colt Python the greatest! If you are thinking of picking up a python now is the time! They continue to increase in value and in this case waiting is not the answer.
rs813_pbsrc_com_albums_zz58_Carmelfight_1423712058_zpseceab8f0_jpg_320x480_.jpg

rs813_pbsrc_com_albums_zz58_Carmelfight_1423712050_zpsc4059576_jpg_320x480_.jpg

Agreed 100%. I've owned a few Pythons over the years but the one I kept will be passed down to my youngest son. 6" bright stainless with a mirror finish made in 1985. I replaced the factory grips (plain rubber) with a set of Hogue premium coco bolo finger groove grips. I lucked out picking this one up from a friends dad about 25 years ago for only $500 unfired with the box & docs. Since I've had it I've only fired 6 rounds through it, just couldn't help myself, lol. Finest revolver ever made in my opinion.
20150330_130553~2.jpg

Those that know me, know that I am a revolver fan, not just a S&W revolver fan. I find little to disagree with you concerning the Python. It is a great revolver, one of the best. I do not consider the Python a “fragile” revolver, but as you mentioned, if you do have a problem, it is expensive to repair and parts can be an issue. Anytime one manufacturer is in competition with another, “stories”, “reports” and “concerns” will arise as they fight for more sales. Marketing plan from S&W, hardly, but there are S&W fans just as there are Colt fans and both sides will pump up their favorite and put down the competition. The Python is perhaps the last of the “hand fitted” production run revolvers and they deserve accolades. Hand fitted revolvers are still being produced, Korth as an example, but they are really expensive. And yes, I do own a Colt Python, 6”, much like the picture that Tazz posted, but not in as good a condition as the one Tazz posted. Mine is nothing more than a shooter grade Python.

S&W did make revolver models for the working man. The model 10 is a great example of a solid revolver, no frills, just works. But to say that all of the S&W models were made for the working man, well not really. The M27, or as it was known before 1957, the .357 Magnum, is the flagship of the S&W line, and it was, at the time, an expensive revolver. No other S&W model was produced like the .357 Magnum. S&W no longer makes the original Registered Magnum .357, and the prices for that model will exceed prices of the Python.

From a collector standpoint the Pythons are highly collectible as are some of the older S&W models. Not all S&W models are collectible and not all Colts are collectible, in my opinion. Unfortunately, there are those that believe that other Colt models were built to the same high standards of the Python. They weren’t.

If someone wants a Python, I highly doubt that prices will drop anytime soon and in fact, may continue to rise. See, we agree,..... well mostly anyway. lol

Lol just like your gorgeous 19s huh. Your right though, most of the other snake series really don't compare to the python (have a cobra and king cobra). But even back then when revolvers ruled, S&W commanded more sales law enforcement, civilian, and competition. Colt did produce the trooper to compete with S&W but did it really make a difference? Colt pretty much threw in the towel and concentrated on military contracts. M27 revolvers are beautiful pieces but they still don't have the mystique of the legendary PYTHON lol. I would say the pythons and colt troopers were the flagship line of Colt besides their 1911s. As far as companies go S&W is 2nd to none always stood toe to toe with Colt. Colt went to government contracts when S&W went to the people and judging by how many different types of firearms are offered by S&W did pretty well for themselves while Colt produces what now? M16/ar15 series, and 1911s when they feel like it lol.

Reactions: JWC
Beautiful pistol. Never fired one so can comment on that. Unless your a collector or can get a banged up one cheap, Colt has turned them into safe Queens. I won't own a gun I will not shoot.

lol When you fire one you'll understand. If you own/owned one, you'll want to keep shooting it. A Python that hasn't been fired is still pretty rare find, but many have been shot. Mine has been shot, and has been shot by me as well. Do I take it out the safe to go to the range..... Not really, it only comes out on special occasions. When it does go to the range it's a compete head turner! Take it to a gunshow and your psst every 15 mins. "You selling that COLT"! "PYTHON, geez people don't buy those anymore, I'll give you $1000 right now... lol

Back
Top Bottom