• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act Introduced In Senate

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
http://bearingarms.com/cornyn-introduces-constitutional-concealed-carry-reciprocity-act-senate/

Thanks to a bizarre patchwork of “may issue” and “shall issue” laws, and arbitrary and ever-changing reciprocity agreements between various state attorney generals, it is functionally impossible to know from month-to-month or state-to-state where a citizen with a concealed carry license can legally carry a firearm. If his or her information isn’t up to date, an otherwise law-abiding citizen could run afoul of obscene and parochial local laws, as did Shaneen Allen did when she crossed a bridge from Pennsylvania as a lawfu concealed carry permit holder, only to become a “criminal” the moment she touched New Jersey soil.

This represents a huge threat to anti-rights groups as the efforts they have strived for and laws enacted that strip the basic right of firearms possession and carry would be nullified at the federal level.

It still ignores the bill of rights and due to this is the created "problem" that this bill is to "fix". However, it is but one more small step in restoring formerly held citizen's rights.

I don't expect this one to pass, and if it does I expect a veto from Mr Gistapo himself...

However it would be lovely. I've contemplated a visit to NY to see some family and friends, but because its illegal for me to have my pistol even in my car in NY and out of staters cant get a permit anymore.. its ridiculous, even traveling through the state with a fire arm will get you locked up. I wouldn't be supprised if they started putting up checkpoints at the boarder like you were from another country

I am opposed to this. I would rather have the current patchwork of state laws than have the Feds get involved in monitoring state carry laws. The Repubs are currently in control of the House and Senate. In a few years, the pendulum may swing back like it was a few years ago. Then the Congress may decide it wants to tweak the uniform carry law. Remember, we live in a relatively gun friendly state. A lot of these congresspersons represent places like NY, CA, Conn., MD, WA, etc. and their home away from home is in MD, Northern VA, and DC. Soon the uniform carry law requires four hours of training, then a few years later, eight hours of training, then a two day class in the state capitol. Then the wise members of congress thinks "shall issue" should really be "may issue" the next time a nut shoots up a school. I would rather depend on the legislature of Georgia make the laws that govern my gun carrying than the US Congress. Once they get their nose in the tent, there is no stopping them.

Even the name of the proposed bill is limiting. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act already limits the rights of law abiding Georgia citizens. I would assume that if such a law passes, Georgians with a GWL would no longer be allowed to OC. I don't care to OC anyway, but the point is still that the feds are ready to limit even if inadvertently.

Last edited:
I am opposed to this. I would rather have the current patchwork of state laws than have the Feds get involved in monitoring state carry laws. The Repubs are currently in control of the House and Senate. In a few years, the pendulum may swing back like it was a few years ago. Then the Congress may decide it wants to tweak the uniform carry law. Remember, we live in a relatively gun friendly state. A lot of these congresspersons represent places like NY, CA, Conn., MD, WA, etc. and their home away from home is in MD, Northern VA, and DC. Soon the uniform carry law requires four hours of training, then a few years later, eight hours of training, then a two day class in the state capitol. Then the wise members of congress thinks "shall issue" should really be "may issue" the next time a nut shoots up a school. I would rather depend on the legislature of Georgia make the laws that govern my gun carrying than the US Congress. Once they get their nose in the tent, there is no stopping them.

Even the name of the proposed bill is limiting. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act already limits the rights of law abiding Georgia citizens. I would assume that if such a law passes, Georgians with a GWL would no longer be allowed to OC. I don't care to OC anyway, but the point is still that the feds are ready to limit even if inadvertently.

I may be wrong, but thats not how I read the law (granted I haven't gone through the whole law and only read snipits of it. I need to go actually read the whole thing) What I've seen of it reads like its not changing laws other than the fact if you are legal to carry in one state, all other states must honor your permit much like a drivers licence. Being Diabetic I cant get my medical card for a CDL in georgia, however I had my CDL in NY because in NY you weren't required to have a medical card as long as you were never more than 100 miles from home in a comercial vehicle and didn't leave the state

I may be wrong, but thats not how I read the law (granted I haven't gone through the whole law and only read snipits of it. I need to go actually read the whole thing) What I've seen of it reads like its not changing laws other than the fact if you are legal to carry in one state, all other states must honor your permit much like a drivers licence. Being Diabetic I cant get my medical card for a CDL in georgia, however I had my CDL in NY because in NY you weren't required to have a medical card as long as you were never more than 100 miles from home in a comercial vehicle and didn't leave the state

I think you are right based on the above information. But again, my concern is the precedent it sets for Federal involvement, not what the current proposal states. You use the drivers license as an example. Some years ago, the Feds wanted to require a Federal ID card. There was a push back against that. However, have you noticed that the state issued DL has been changed to require that you bring several pieces of ID showing your address, etc. and a hologram for proving your ID, etc, etc.? This is because the Feds under the ruse of protecting us from terrorists and other bad guys have required state to state DL standardization as required by Homeland Security. Thus we now have a Federal ID card through the back door. I don't want that to happen for the GWL. My concern has nothing to do with the proposal as written, but where it is likely to go from here.

My concern has nothing to do with the proposal as written, but where it is likely to go from here.

B. Byrd, that's a very good point you make.

I really am straddling the fence. On one hand it will decriminalize out of state travelers permit holders when traveling through. But the 1986 FPA was created to protect travelers with guns too and we see how N.Y. and NYC still arrest honest citizens in an effort to double down on their gun control. Allowing the fed to create a law/s governing "permitted carry" sets a precedent that they have "control over" or 2A rights. I'm uncomfortable with allowing them that perception.

It would not allow a state resident to apply for an out of state permit and circumvent their state's carry laws as I read it, which if allowed would really mix things up for the prohibitionist.

Until we can force the legislative branch to restore the bill of rights-constitutional carry, we must slowly, incremental steps work towards that goal. So that is the quandary.

Yep. Depending on the Feds to protect the rights of those in interstate travel doesn't impress me. Remember how Eric Holder protected white voter rights, Arizona border security, white police officers defending themselves against criminals, gun store operators, IRS providing documents to congressional committed. Need I go on? All of these things would have been against laws as passed by congress. I'll take my chances with the GA legislature.

I will admit that I don't don't do interstate travel anymore. Most recent has been Tennessee and Florida and there I took my chances.

Hope all is well with you.

Back
Top Bottom