Converting Bolt Shotgun to a slug gun

Spacelord

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
60   0
Reaction score
I was looking at an old bolt shotgun and either had a brilliant idea or the dumbest ever.

What I was thinking about is taking 5 inches off th 28 inch full choke barrel. and threading it to take a rifled choke tube. The barrel already has rifle sights of a sort and the barrel seems well mated to the receiver. So is this a horrible idea or possibly a way to get a good slug gun that you don't see every day.

Mossberg and Browning have both offered Bolt action slug guns with fully rifeled barrels. I had a browning A-bolt slug gun with a 4x Leupold scope a few years back. It was deadly accurate.

But if you want to build your own, go for it.

Yeah, rifled slugs would be best. I wouldn't cut the barrel, you'd lose a good bit of velocity. Just cut back to cylinder bore.

Only a qualified gunsmith would be able to tell if the barrel is thick enough to be threaded for a choke tube. That will cost $$. I'd cut back just enough to remove the full choke. A dedicated slug gun, especially a bolt gun, would be cheaper. I've taken plenty of deer back in Wisconsin in shotgun only counties with a rifled choke in a rem 11-87, accurate for me. Out to 60 yards. Never used a rifled barrel.

a gunsmith could open up the barrel to eliminate the choke, then rifled slugs would do the trick, and your sights would remain.

Back
Top Bottom