Cracking Walnuts

So after peeling off the black stain peels, how best to crack these nuts without ruining the meat?

Thanks!
I am a Quality Assurance Professional in the tree nut industry and simply put you use a hammer, or nut cracker, and some sort of pic or small flat screw driver to get the “meat” out if the meat does not stay whole. That’s how employees at nut facilities do when cracking walnuts by hand to score and grade for harvest. It’s pretty impossible to get every nut in two while halves. It takes industrial machinery to keep nuts from breaking up and you would only use a cracker/huller if you have A large volume of nuts to process. Not cost effective.

So the green ones I have need to dry first. Someone suggested pressure washing the remaining hard shell before whacking them with a hammer. Broke out the big ball peen and a large piece of oak. At this point the nuts are still green.

She has passed away now but, my neighbor Frances threw them out on her gravel drive way, husk and all. When the husk started to pop, she ran over them with her car..Of course I never tried that, but she was 85 and it seemed to work for her..
That was the best way

So the green ones I have need to dry first. Someone suggested pressure washing the remaining hard shell before whacking them with a hammer. Broke out the big ball peen and a large piece of oak. At this point the nuts are still green.
You want to make sure you wear gloves any time you handle the husks.

Confederate uniforms were dyed with black walnut husks if that tell you anything.

Back
Top Bottom