Cub Scout Ideas

chugapug

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
15   0
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas of things for my sons scouts to go and do to get outdoors to camp and learn how to enjoy nature and what it has to offer.

Geo-caching. I have friend that does it with his kids and they have a blast. My family will try it out when the kids get older. There's lots of info online about it. I think all you need is a smartphone. You could probably find a couple caches at local parks.

Volunteer at a local park. Clean up trash for an hour and then let them play on the swings after.

Frisbee Golf. Fort Yargo State Park has a pretty big course setup. I think they want $2 a head to play.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisbee_golf

What are they? Wolf? Webelow? Tiger Cubs?
I LOVED being a scout years ago, had the most awesome summer when I was Webelow, and then the Arrow of Light ceremony (they do it in a grand fashion in TX) ahh, nostalgia.

Assuming they've got the lashing types of knots down, tower building exercises with some pine poles is fun. You can do kettle tripods and cook some camp chili or stew (have them each bring an ingredient and prepare it, chopping veggies, assuming they are mature enough with a knife).

We made a pack flag from a large pillow case and grommets with our pack logo and number.

OOOhhh! Hobo stoves! those are always a blast to make, easy and good skill to have. Grab some pancake batter and some little smokies and have them make pancakes on their coffee can stove :) (hobo cakes are the best, every scout knows that)

Fishing is always fun, have them find their own bait by digging it or catching grasshoppers or minnows. give them the option for whatever bait they want, provide a cast net, bucket, small shovel and possibly a butterfly net if they are on the younger end. Teach them how to use cast net to get bait.

Water rockets from soda bottles are alot of fun, you can build a launch rig for a few bucks if you've got a pump or compressor. Model rocketry in general is a relatively inexpensive thrill (assuming you don't run b50 tube stuff). A case of rocket motors is about 50 bucks, rockets themselves are inexpensive, like 15 bucks for a cool one, launcher is about 15 bucks (rockets and launcher reusable of course).

Trying to think of what else we did at that age. Pinewood derby is a given, so was braiding/rope making. Think back to when you were a kid, what did you do that was fun, educational and constructive? Do those things :)

I second geocaching. Its great fun and my kids love it. The problem I would see with a group is the traveling. Using the cahes that are out there you would be stopping, finding and then get back in the car and moving on to the next one.

I would pick a state park to camp at and place your own caches at points of interest (points of interest could be you cache).

Back
Top Bottom