• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cuban cigars

You can't legally even if you are out of the country. It is illegal for an American to violate the trade embargo with Cuba.

It is done but talking about it on social media is a bad idea.

I thought it was legal now, since we were making friends with them again. Ive read and seen on the news that up to $100 worth of cigars was legal to bring back. Do you know how old that article is you referenced? Thats prett wild you cant even smoke one if your visiting another country.

Last edited:
I thought it was legal now, since we were making friends with them again. Ive read and seen on the news that up to $100 worth of cigars was legal to bring back. Do you know how old that article is you referenced? Thats prett wild you cant even smoke one if your visiting another country.

It's not legal yet from what I read but soon licensed travelers to Cuba will be able to bring back $100 worth for personal use. The trade embargo is still in effect until removed by act of Congress.

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/2014/12/19/legal-cuban-cigar-just-yet/20671555/
"And Americans can’t rush to Canada or Europe for Cuban stogies. U.S. travelers can purchase Cuban cigars and tobacco only in Cuba. Cuban tobacco products sold in other countries are prohibited for purchase or import."

It's not legal yet from what I read but soon licensed travelers to Cuba will be able to bring back $100 worth for personal use. The trade embargo is still in effect until removed by act of Congress.

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/2014/12/19/legal-cuban-cigar-just-yet/20671555/
"And Americans can’t rush to Canada or Europe for Cuban stogies. U.S. travelers can purchase Cuban cigars and tobacco only in Cuba. Cuban tobacco products sold in other countries are prohibited for purchase or import."

Ok so looks like the traveling folks won't even be able to sell them. Looks like I'm going to Cuba or settling for an alternative. Guess the wait will be longer than expected.

I don't think anyone is actively looking for Americans who bring back a small number for personal use. I have heard that cigar shops in the islands will stuff Cubans in a cigar box from that country and place a factory seal on it.

My tin foil hat side tells me, if the government wanted to take a look around your house, it could use a suspected embargo violation as an excuse.

I don't think anyone is actively looking for Americans who bring back a small number for personal use. I have heard that cigar shops in the islands will stuff Cubans in a cigar box from that country and place a factory seal on it.

My tin foil hat side tells me, if the government wanted to take a look around your house, it could use a suspected embargo violation as an excuse.

I don't think that's tin foil hat material these days....

Cuban cigars are really not as good as others, IMO. Like pretty much everything in a dictatorship, there is not much motivation to be excellent at anything...

Don't think it's the manufacturing that makes them good so much as where the tobacco is grown