custom build

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
I am going to build another custom rifle. My problem is I cannot decide what caliber to go with. It is going to be built on either a 308 or 30-06 case for availibility of brass. What are your thoughts and ideas? Not opposed to small bore or big bore. But I want to be able to hunt with it also for deer size game.

I just put together a .358 Winchester on a Turk Mauser Action. Big enough for anything in North America, but I can load it down for GA whitetails as well.

Jamisons is making economical brass for it now as well. Available from Graf & Sons.

.Build it on a Savage long action and you can have a switch barrel rig that will shoot any standard caliber you desire as long as the cartridge head is the same. Wanna shoot .22-250 just remove the barrel nut unscrew the barrel screw in the new barrel headspace tighten the barrel nut and presto you're shooting 22-250. Standard factory takeoff barrels can be had for about $60 and the swap takes about 5 minutes at the range.wanna shoot 30-06 same thing. Very accurate and a homesmiths dream with lots of aftermarket and takeoff parts available cheap Why build anything else?

.308, hands down. Of course, I have a bias. I think my next rifle is going to a ported .300 win mag, which is always a good option if you want something in the .30 caliber family.

another vote for .308. far flying, hard hitting, good round for the price. not .22 cheap but cheap enough for the performance, especially if you reload. and in a jam you can run surplus battle packs:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom