• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cyclist...show us your favorite bikes!

No selfies ... Unless crammed in spandex
i104.photobucket.com_albums_m166_sirial4u_fatmeninspandex.jpg
:shocked::jaw:

Got a screaming deal on this specialized fsr comp for my son for Christmas, only paid $460 for the complete bike. Guy has had it listed for 6+ months on one of the mtb sites, he started at 1,200 and dropped it to 500 at the first of December.

Talk to him and he said after a couple of trips to his LBS said he was basically selling it for the frame & fork since he already had the shifter cables changed and the fork and shock serviced and it still wasn't rideable. The LBS told him everything else was worn out and needed replacing. I have everything to build up a frame so for $500 it was worth going to look at.

Go to look at it and like he said, the components appear to be screwed, shifters don't move even with the new cables, cranks & hubs grind, drive train covered in gunk, brakes need pads, fluid and or bleeding but the frame is in great shape and the fork and shock all work. I offer him $460 for it and I'm off with what appears to be a complete rebuild.

Get home & start pulling it apart, drivetrain isn't in bad shape once all the gunk is removed, cassette's ok, chain's ok, small ring and drive side crank bearings are toast but I have spares so that's no biggie. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the derailleurs so I take the shifters apart and whoever installed the cables managed to get the cable over the spring in the shifter pod. Never seen that one before, reinstall the cables properly and now the shifters work. Take the wheels off and the hubs have a lot of gunk under the dust seals, clean them out and lube the pawl and the hubs are good. Check the brake pads and they're ok so I bleed the brakes and they're good.

So for a couple hours of my time + the ring and crank bearing my son now has a great FS bike to ride. Should have asked who the LBS that told him all this was because they freaking suck.

Here's a pic after reassembly, we'll go ride as soon as the winter monsoons end.

B0_IdPEjRuNUpBCSSEnuWfj-ChLm-SYoyFTXuLdxsFGW78oYMlVHo-6YL97gWy7EOJ_x4yH0WDkIsdr22v3PVbH0WKgB5Uzxz16Le4iNRXbPbeb3FqYP1KqrJe0XOqJ52C8cOiiMuByBC3HKAgtG0St_tXX3xqPu2i3uRX2X5-NcpqshaMscHFLOVpxVWwR_3AyPKniVTtk2da0T92N-P3ccf9WSH7PdngHg1Qx9cqB_INBVAyTWypn14yCPZxOHWLNUzkpVVF7OaIqt80nXjCM7p1HoT1sPXo78GPj1By3oUZy0G6IGB9ujFs9i8k4j7wBNzMJGA4Ohvfsf1qD1qHJegeR5c1KtWYNZtGwUQ3JVYAU6LmGyimXNFePtcklw9_w7xjZmtTVq2TmyV6c-fC8zMF7wk68eTB7oj_77AXVz_t4GS9TrQxSeGrtYBdXq-YP1_qp3i4dlo3bR0xswkkR_EjpCQkLzHt0VvTjgyDvGnd0bgbl-hxcOJ6_wKlcnZ75YauOh8A9I7N47nxp9dlDljmj6NTC5u3vifuceFM2tF2uiFHTh-6xY4MP83kZWJxLe=w875-h944-no

Back
Top Bottom