• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

CZ 75 ( cz75 ) magazine compatibility info

GodBlessTheUSA

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
I brought down the Iron Curtain
154   0
Reaction score
I am no "expert" on the CZ 75, but wanted to start a thread on my experience with magazine compatability and let others chime in with their findings.

i bought a CZ75 in 1989 while in the US Army. I was stationed in (then "West") Germany and got the CZ for about $275 through the rod and gun club on our base. All that to say I've been doing the CZ dance for over 20 years. This CZ is a "pre-B" and that's where the magazine issue arises. The "B" models and after apparently have a little more room at the top of the magazine well than the pre-B models. I can see a slight difference in the angle of taper between magazines that fit and those that don't.

To keep it simple, if the magazine seats easily, you're probably ok, but not always. I've learned from experience to always try before you buy.

In short, this is a synopsis of my experience :

Factory CZ mags that have the serial number electro-stenciled into the magazine Usually fit. Usually is vague, but my CZ has a SN of one letter and four numbers. Magazines stenciled with similar SNs have almost always worked. If they seated easily and dropped when disengaged they worked.

SP magazines did NOT work in my pre-B. They didn't fit.

Mec-Gar magazines labeled "CZ" on the magazine fit and function well. Some have required a good hand slap to seat, like on a tight 1911, but once seated all was well.

Pro-Mag magazines labeled as CZ on the package did not fit

SOME magazines for the TZ 75 and TA90 pistols did fit, but not all. The same is true for the older Israeli Military "Baby Desert Eagle". In all these cases, I've had factory magazines fit Sometimes, but Most aftermarket magazines did not fit.

For those of you with TZs and TAs and Baby Desert Eagles, I've had great luck swapping magazines between All of them! If the magazine fit one of these guns it fit them all.

I'll try to post Picts and part numbers later. Please chime in and add your experience .

Yes, there is a difference in pre B model mags and standard ... The newer Mec-Gar mags did not work on my '89 CZ 75. Nor did any mag drop free.

I sent my CZ 75 to a smith for trigger job and correct fitting on all CZ mags for my gun as well drop free..

But of course while it was there I got a deal on several CZ 75 Pre B mags...

Also, B model full size mags will be 16rnders or larger were as the pre B mags are 15rnders.....

Back
Top Bottom