• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Daewoo K2/AR100, DR200

FLcracker

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
This pre ban (K2, then AR100) AR styled service rifle of the Republic of South Korea is an excellent choice if you are wanting a long stroke piston driven AR. Unfortunately, they have not been imported for years. Thank our political leaders for that nonsense. The K2 series of rifles are similar internally to an FNC, but the Daewoo rifle comes at much less cost over an FNC. Although prices have risen from the $1200 range in the last 5 years to more like $1800, so they don't come cheap any more. The DR 200 is the post ban version and it can be turned into a more "Tacticool" rifle with some American made aftermarket parts and some ingenuity. DR200 used to be able to be had for under $900, but I have noticed their prices climbing as well. Mostly due to the fact that this series of rifles are just becoming scarce. I am not covering the K1A1 as it is the carbine version that is direct impingement, therefore not really significantly different than an U.S. M4, unless you like wire collapsing stocks. My understanding is they are not very sturdy and that destroys hit probability.

Back to the K2. I have spoken to young South Koreans who have done their mandatory service time and they all have found memories of handling and firing the K2 rifle. It is well loved. My contact with them has been afforded by a relationship with my South Korean girlfriend.
Just a small off topic discussion... Talk about GREAT food! You have to find a Korean Buffet if you are going to go Korean in any fashion. The Duluth area has many Korean eating opportunities. Even the super markets have good and reasonably priced eateries in them.

Back to rifle talk. This South Korean export has the exterior look of an AR styled rifle with the very reliable action of a gas piston and long stroke operating cycle, ala "AK". The bolt and carrier are more Stoner inspired though, with multi lugged bolt faces. In that sense, I think the Koreans missed the mark. Unlike the FNC, and Galil for that matter, they did not take the dual lug bolt face of the AK, which is much stronger, as you seldom hear of lug shear on AK, Galil, or FNC rifles.
AR bolts are notorious for it.

Speaking of "lug shear", avoid the 7.62x39 Daewoo DR300. Due to the placement of the enlarged ejector cut THRU the bolt head and face, the lugs next to the ejector cut are weakened even more and have a very high failure rate, with no options for replacement. The 5.56 bolts appear to have enough metal left in them for stronger bolt faces. I have seldom heard of lug failure on the 5.56 rifle.

The interior of the rifle body stays cooler and cleaner due to the operating system. I have noticed that it does impart a little bit of firing torque which can be a little surprising, until you get used to it. I never recall an AR-15 or M Forgery doing this. But as I say, once you spend some time with the rifle, you stop noticing it. Because the recoil spring is AK like and contained within the upper receiver, the K2 and AR100 feature a folding full stock, which is sturdy and without movement in the locked open (firing) position. It is rock solid. The later, post ban DR200 requires some new parts to convert to anything folding. That big ugly thumbhole stock also throws the balance to the rear and gives the rifle an unnatural feel. That can be remedied with a Stormwerkz conversion set up to accommodate a pistol grip (US made) along with their folding stock mechanism and an ACE Galil or FAL type stock. Well worth the upgrade. The only thing left to upgrade would be the faux flash suppressor into a real US flash suppressor. Easy do. Using a US GI magazine puts you in the right parts count to stay 922 compliant. And these rifles will use, Pmags, GI aluminum, HK steel mags, as well as almost all aftermarket Korean drum mags. The mag well seems to have designed on the slightly generous side, but not sloppy at all. And to clarify, in case any one is wondering, the DR200 is EXACTLY the same internally as the K2/AR100.

The sights are good, but of military design, so they are somewhat heavy and the front post is not a target profile by any means. Sights adjust is like M-16A1 sights. The front sight takes a tool to depress the plunger and rotate the post up or down. You can substitute two rifle bullets instead of the tool. The rear sight has the very familiar rotating wheel. You have to use a cartridge to adjust for windage. Once that is accomplished, there is a rotational wheel on the left side of rear sight tower that has range adjustment set for 100, 200, 300 and 400 yard choices. Nice touch. The balance of rifle features are borrowed and adequate. It does feature a bolt hold open and bolt drop lever exactly like and placed in the familiar location if you are an AR user. That was a nice pick up by the Daewoo design team. The rest if standard GI stuff. Nothing more, nothing less. It is a quality military rifle build, still used by South Korean Forces. Right along side US service men serving in South Korea with the M4's and M-16s.

The rifle was fielded well before Knights Armament came out with the RIS or RAS accessory rail system for the M4 and later the M-16. The Daewoo does not benefit from that technology unless you find an aftermarket maker. Stromwerkz may be the only vendor making a railed hand guard for this rifle any more? Otherwise there are two stud locations on top of the upper receiver, with steel inserts that can take a scope rail or picatinny rail for mounting red dots or scopes. Not a great system, but there is a way to get upgraded sighting systems on this rifle. Again, most makers no longer support the product, except for Stormwerkz. Other makers may be found on the secondary market, on line.

So if you are so inclined to try something different and something in that AK/AR combination, this used to be a cost effective alternative. At todays elevated prices, only you can decide if it is cost effective anymore. With AR's running well under $1,000 now, it is hard to NOT be an AR man. Advantage for the AR-15 is parts are easy and very well priced. There used to be a guy who handled Daewoo parts (Daewoo Parts I believe it was called) of limited type and quantity. He is no longer in business. But some guys just got to be different. All in our quest for the "Perfect Rifle".

IMG_7687.JPG

The folding stock versions have 1:7.3" twist rates, and the fixed stock versions (POSSIBLY THE FINEST THUMB-HOLE BUTT STOCK EVER INSTALLED ON A RIFLE) have 1:12" twist rates. Both are capable of dime sized groups @ 100 yards using iron sights and decent ammunition.

Daewoo Ad.jpg

Back
Top Bottom