• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DB9 reliability?

MisterGrubbs

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
I haven't seen one on here. Anyone?

Bought a db9 today. Sweet little gun! Only issue is that it is a picky picky little *****. I have tried to feed white box Winchester. Blazer brass. And federal. Multiple FTE and ftf. I polished the feed ramp to no avail. I was SUPER excited about this until now.

Any tips? Not stressing as their cs is awesome and they are known to send brand new pistols back.

Last edited:
Well I think I was just unfortunate.

Picked up some PMC bronze a few minutes ago. It ate all 50 rounds without one hiccup.

Things I learned(for those of you looking for one)

It won't feed the initial round if the mag isn't full.
Its picky.
Polish the feed ramp.

Then all is good.

Cheers to anyone who was reading up.

Ryan

Last edited:
This is not very supportive. With a new (inexpensive) gun there are often sharp edges and some burs that will typically work in with firing.

I typically lube these up with CLP or other gun lube then fire it. If the gun is choking, try different ammo and magazines. If it still has some issues such as failure to feed then a feed ramp polish (not metal removal) with 400 grit, then 800-1000 grit on an empty case will help. Breaking the hump on the feed ramp will help as well. Also the top of the hood chamber can be polished too.

The magazine lips can polished as well where the round contacts at. If the magazine housing is abrasive then a light polish of inside will enhance feeding as well.

The extractor face where it strikes the rim of the ammo case can be polished, then the breech face lightly polished. Check the extractor tension I have found a couple on compact pistols that were ridiculously strong. A tension of 3-5 lbs. or less is about average.

Check the ejector and make sure it's solidly mounted/pinned. Check your wear marks on the rails (slide/frame) and polish or clean up machine burs.

Pull your barrel and drop a known well feeding round in the tube then compare it to those that are not. Measure the cartridge length as well making a note if it prefers a specific length or bullet type.

If after all this and still ending up in failure consider a different recoil spring depending on the issues still occurring.

The bore horny thread (breaking the hump): http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/237427-Bore-Horny!?highlight=bore+horny

My Kahr won't run or do I need reamed (extractor polish/weight) thread: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/212794-My-Kahr-won-t-run-or-do-I-need-reamed?highlight=Kahr+.40

Last edited:
This is not very supportive. With a new (inexpensive) gun there are often sharp edges and some burs that will typically work in with firing.

I typically lube these up with CLP or other gun lube then fire it. If the gun is choking, try different ammo and magazines. If it still has some issues such as failure to feed then a feed ramp polish (not metal removal) with 400 grit, then 800-1000 grit on an empty case will help. Breaking the hump on the feed ramp will help as well. Also the top of the hood camber can be polished too.

The magazine lips can polished as well where the round contacts at. If the magazine housing is abrasive then a light polish of inside will enhance feeding as well.

The extractor face where it strikes the rim of the ammo case can be polished, then the breech face lightly polished. Check the extractor tension I have found a couple on compact pistols that were ridiculously strong. A tension of 3-5 lbs. or less is about average.

Check the ejector and make sure it's solidly mounted/pinned. Check your wear marks on the rails (slide/frame) and polish or clean up machine burs.

Pull your barrel and drop a known well feeding round in the tube then compare it to those that are not. Measure the cartridge length as well making a note if it prefers a specific length or bullet type.

If after all this and still ending up in failure consider a different recoil spring depending on the issues still occurring.

The bore horny thread (breaking the hump): http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/237427-Bore-Horny!?highlight=bore+horny

My Kahr won't run or do I need reamed (extractor polish/weight) thread: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/212794-My-Kahr-won-t-run-or-do-I-need-reamed?highlight=Kahr+.40

Absolutely 100% agree on all of this. Also, in my experience it takes about 150 rounds to break in the smaller pistols with the tight tolerances they have. Find what it will run and shoot the crap out of it. Then experiment with other types of rounds once its eased up some.

Had a LCP that wouldn't feed anything but Hornandy CD rounds until I ran 250 rounds thru it. Needless to say, I don't have the gun anymore.

I typically lube these up with CLP or other gun lube then fire it. If the gun is choking, try different ammo and magazines. If it still has some issues such as failure to feed then a feed ramp polish (not metal removal) with 400 grit, then 800-1000 grit on an empty case will help. Breaking the hump on the feed ramp will help as well. Also the top of the hood camber can be polished too.

Absolutely 100% agree on all of this. Also, in my experience it takes about 150 rounds to break in the smaller pistols with the tight tolerances they have. Find what it will run and shoot the crap out of it. Then experiment with other types of rounds once its eased up some.

Had a LCP that wouldn't feed anything but Hornandy CD rounds until I ran 250 rounds thru it. Needless to say, I don't have the gun anymore.

Talking about DB9s or 1911s? :behindsofa:

Lol. Somebody gots some jokes today. Although I'd probably agree with you on the 1911 also but I carry a Wilson so I've got Glock reliability in a 1911 and it only cost me 5x's the price of a Glock. What a bargain. :)

If you truly enjoy it that's all that matters. Well that and reliability. You have to be breathing to enjoy something.

I had one put of th box that fed UMC bulk 100%. The slide sliced my gorilla hands to pieces after about 100 rounds so I sold it. Great gun if dont have big mitts.

both my older nephew and brother have one.. feeds great with Win 115 Silver tips.. it's a handfull so you really have to hold on to the grip so you don't get
limp wrist issues.

both of them love the little pistol

I will say that my nephew cut down the back of the frame to eliminate the rather rough back side. keeps from tearing up the hand

Back
Top Bottom