Deer, Hog & Coyote Hunt opportunity (See below)

Who is able to come out for a few days during the following dates.

• Total voters

bulletslinger101

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Good morning hunters. I am planning a Hog/ Deer hunt down in Oaky Woods WMA <--- Click Looking for hunters that would like to go. My plan is to stay at the Primitive amp Site.

Since it is Big Game Season, you can use whatever you shoot big game with to shoot hogs.
Oaky Woods Hunting Regs <----Click Scroll until you locate the information about Oaky Woods WMA

12,750 acres • 706.595.4222

When I call the number listed directly above, the notes from the conversation will be listed here. Dates for Big Game hunting are listed however I'd like clarification concerning hog hunting.

Notes from today's (09 September 2022) phone call (706.595.4222) with (Mr. Ive): Can hun hogs/ coyotes (See below)

GA DNR Active Map of the area
  • Only allowed to hunt during Dates listed for Big Game, and Small Game with the weapons used during those hunts (Scroll Down for Dates). Mr. Ive stated they have had issues with hogs tearing up some fields as well as had some issues in the past of destroying the road shoulders. I also asked about Coyote hunts as well. He stated the same applies for Coyotes as it does for Hog. He also stated there is a dedicated season for Coyotes and those dates are listed below when you scroll down.

Deer​

ARCHERY​

• Sept. 10-Oct. 7

FIREARMS​

• Oct. 8-14
  • Buck Only: b Oct. 27-29 | s Dec. 22-25
  • Either-Sex Last Day: b Dec. 1-3

Turkey​

Q80 Apr. 8-14

Apr. 15-May 15

Coyote​

May 16-31

Note:

Wildlife Management Areas​

Coyotes may be taken during any small or big game season with the appropriate lawful weapons. Hunter orange is required and no night hunting or baiting is allowed. Electronic calls may be used. Additionally, a Feral Hog and Coyote season will be held from May 16-31 on all WMAs (unless otherwise specified). During this two-week hunt, any legal firearm for big or small game may be used, except on Archery Only areas.

Non-Native & Invasive Species <----Click​

Area Notes​

No bear hunting. Legal hours for waterfowl end at noon.

"Oaky Woods Wildlife Management Area is located in Houston and Pulaski Counties. This 12,750-acre property offers hunting opportunities for deer, turkey, small game, coyote, and feral hog."

Oaky Woods Wildlife Management Area (GA)

The live weather outlook for the area is divided into two counties
  1. Pulaski County Weather
  2. Houston County Weather

Overview​

About 100 miles south of Atlanta, Oakey Woods Wildlife Management Area occupies 19,300 acres of rolling coastal plain land between 210' and 471' elevation. Oaky Woods Wildlife Management Area is one of Georgia's many wildlife management areas. In fact, Georgia's Department of Natural Resources is proud to say that there's one within an hour's drive of every Georgian.

***Map of Oaky Woods Wildlife Management Area (GA) <---- Click
***** Google map <----Click

Screen Shot of the interactive map attached

Primary​

(478) 825-6354 (Ranger Station)

Official URL​

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/hunting/wildlife-management-areas

Camping​

Oaky Woods is home to four primitive campgrounds. All camps must be in designated campgrounds unless otherwise indicated or posted at the WMA check station. Camping or driving motor vehicles upon wildlife food plantings is prohibited. Camping or establishment of a campsite shall be limited to a period of time not to exceed 14 consecutive days unless the campsite is vacated and all personally owned property or physical features of the campsite are removed for a period of not less than 7 days. A new campsite may not be re-established within 1 mile of the vacated campsite. Loaded firearms are prohibited in camping areas, except for those with a valid weapons carry license. Campers are responsible for their own trash.
No person shall unreasonably disturb or annoy others through abrasive, insulting, or threatening words or actions, or disobey any lawful order of a law enforcement official, or act in a manner resulting in a breach of the peace. No generators, musical instruments, radios, televisions, or other noise-making devices may be used after 10 p.m. or before 7 a.m. EST, in such a manner that they may be heard by other WMA visitors.
Oaky Woods Camp Area PDF <---- ClickOaky Woods Camp Area from Hunt X
View attachment 4710385
If you have the onX app <---- Click

thendricks thendricks , FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC
24on48hunting 24on48hunting

Attachments

• af873464-a5b9-46a5-92a5-f6433e4ea35b.jpg
    af873464-a5b9-46a5-92a5-f6433e4ea35b.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 26
  • GA DNR Accive map screen shot.jpg
    GA DNR Accive map screen shot.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 19
  • 6127a9c5-5557-4195-bfe3-5c761acf21c7.jpg
    6127a9c5-5557-4195-bfe3-5c761acf21c7.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 6111ef92-ba36-4568-a018-acc97395e8b6.jpg
    6111ef92-ba36-4568-a018-acc97395e8b6.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 16
Haven’t been there in 25 years.
So are coyotes legal same dates rules as hogs as stated or only during the season listed in May?

Haven’t been there in 25 years.
So are coyotes legal same dates rules as hogs as stated or only during the season listed in May?
Coyotes are able to be hunted the Same as Hogs during deer season. You have to shoot them with a caliber appropriate to take Big Game:)

You brining the Bazooka:)

Hit the Poll and let everyone know when your coming.

Respectfully
Chris

Come on Brother!!!! Let me know when your able to come on.

Respectfully
Chris
Sounds like it will be a good time. Alittle over 400 miles round trip for me and a spot I'm not familiar with and no opportunities to scout. I belive I'm going to have to leave yall with all the fun. Goodluck and I hope it's a great turn out. Shall you decide you ever want to hunt cohutta wma let me know. Ga definitely has great public land opportunities.

Sounds like it will be a good time. Alittle over 400 miles round trip for me and a spot I'm not familiar with and no opportunities to scout. I belive I'm going to have to leave yall with all the fun. Goodluck and I hope it's a great turn out. Shall you decide you ever want to hunt cohutta wma let me know. Ga definitely has great public land opportunities.

Bet! Cohutta WMA it is… I’ll creat another post for this WMA. See if we can get any takers….

Respectfully
Chris
I’ll be hunting @ Cohutta on Oct 7-9. Can’t go opening day of the hunt (10-6) due to prior obligations. I might get to go up for a scouting day around the first of the month though.

I’ll be hunting @ Cohutta on Oct 7-9. Can’t go opening day of the hunt (10-6) due to prior obligations. I might get to go up for a scouting day around the first of the month though.
Sounds like we got a hunt in the planning. bulletslinger101 bulletslinger101 are you familiar with cohutta any? @24on48 bear sign is great up there this far this year. If you're able to get out there and scout give me a Holler.

Back
Top Bottom