Determining Max C.O.L

I use a Hornady chamber gauge with a modified case for my bolt actions. I seat my bullets about .003" off the lands once chamber length is measured. This gives me my best accuracy.

Smut test on turnbolts. Cannelure on many selfloading rifles and all revolvers.

I seat most selfloading pistols on the mid to deep side of spec for best reliability. I've seen no measureable advantage to seating selfloading pistol rounds out beyond normal cartridge spec.

I've seen no measureable advantage to seating selfloading pistol rounds out beyond normal cartridge spec.

I used to think the same thing but it really depends on the gun. 1911 and 2011 style pistols in 9 or 40 really respond well to being loaded longer ( in fact the STI's I've seen require it to run right). The safest way seems to be drop testing the ammo in the Stripped barrel and then making sure the magazine will feed it.

You also have to be careful loading deep, especially if using heavy bullets or fast powders. Your case volume gets tight quick with heavy bullets and that along with some fast powders is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:
With my handguns, even though not necessary i check it with a fired case that i start a projo into. Then push it in the chamber till the case headspaces. Then i back off by about .020 or until i can spin the case freely in the chamber without feeling rifling/projo interaction.

Only reason i bother is, some projo's will sit on the lands if I go with certain printed data. Hornady's printed oal for the 185xtp and 230hap dont work so well in a couple of my barrels.

With rifles the hornady headspace gauge and bullet comparitor works great. Get the curved version for measuring an ar if going for single shot loads

Last edited:
I use a casing in the proper caliber. Full length size it. Take a dremmel tool with the little wheel attachment, the real thin one. Cut one slit down each side of the neck to where the neck just starts to become the shoulder. You can adjust the tension required to hold the bullet in the case by squeezing the two sides of the neck together. Slide said case with the desired bullet into the chamber. Close bolt, take care not to force the bolt forward and push the bullet into the case further and cause a false reading. Do this and take several readings to make sure you are being consistent with the bolt closing. I have one of these home made cases for every rifle round I have ever loaded.

I used to think the same thing but it really depends on the gun. 1911 and 2011 style pistols in 9 or 40 really respond well to being loaded longer ( in fact the STI's I've seen require it to run right). The safest way seems to be drop testing the ammo in the Stripped barrel and then making sure the magazine will feed it.

You also have to be careful loading deep, especially if using heavy bullets or fast powders. Your case volume gets tight quick with heavy bullets and that along with some fast powders is a disaster waiting to happen.

That is correct. My custom 2011's have chambers cut for long loaded ammo. But for most of my handguns, I load to the cannelure or factory spec. I used to do load specific length for each rifle but now I own mulitple rifles in like calibers so I use factory spec for those also.

Back
Top Bottom