Reaction score
manufacturer: diamondback currently partnered/acquired by taurus
origin: cocoa, fl
caliber: 9mm
magazine capacity: 6 rounds
official site: http://www.diamondbackfirearms.com/category?cat=7

View attachment 292946

i decided to try out a the diamondback db9 despite alll the unfavorable reviews

recoil: the recoil is very felt on this gun but it having such a short barrel and a grip that can just barely get two fingers around it, it will make you remember that you are shooting a small gun with a fairly large caliber for the frame

trigger: the trigger pull is 5.5 and smooth and is long enough to make you feel safe enough carrying it with any pocket holster that hides the trigger from view without worry of it firing accidentally and short enough to make you fire it reliably without having to pull the trigger all the way to the frame like a bodyguard .380 requires

slide pull back: the slide being so tiny at only 3/4 inch tall does take some training to rack due to its heavy recoil spring that makes you feel like your pulling a f-350 with a old Volkswagen beetle using a rusty hitch. you might scratch up your hand if you have nails at first because of the grip being so close to the slide., my advice for chambering a round is pull it back all the way and just let the slide do its thing don't try babying it.

caliber: its is a proven 9mm caliber, it fires perfect with critical defense and according the manufacturer you should not fire any round above 124 grains or it will progress wear quicker or damage the gun potentially.

sights: the regular non-night sights leave much to be desired as the rear dots are very small but the front dot is very prominent

design: it is small enough to carry in your pocket with the best of the .380 pocket pistols as it was designed directly off of db380 platform, this limits you to a maximum of 124 grain ammunition safely according to the manufacturer. it does have what appears to be a "beaver tail" like plastic on the rear frame to keep your grip right and protect you from slide bite

grip: the grip is very well made and has enough raised detail all around to keep your hands firmly in place

size: its just slightly larger then the bodyguard m&p .380,
Length: 5.60”
Height: 4.00”
Width: 0.80”
Barrel Length: 3.00”
Distance Between Sights: 4.25”

pickyness of ammo: this gun is picky with ammo the shorter the fmj the better it feeds, the smaller the hole in the tip of the hollow point the better(it loves critical defense i have found). when you put a 9mm round in a .380 platform though you will see that the ammo pickyness is just a part of the package

weight: it weighs 11 oz so its barely noticeable when you slide it in your pocket or iwb holster

accuracy: i shot it with a slightly open cut directly where you grip the gun and could easily get within two rings of the center on the target at about 20 feet(that distance is farther then you'll probably use this gun in an actual encounter with the bad guy)

safety devices: your finger is pretty much the only safety on this gun, to get it this small they made it not lock back on an empty magazine and did not put a "manual safety" on it

in conclusion this gun is great for pocket carry as long as you do your research and try out different brands and types of ammo in it before carrying to verify it likes the round, and can rack the slide on it, i would advise to try it before you buy it to see if you like it, you might just go to the .380 if you have an issue with the slide. it come in seven variations mainly changing the color the frame from black all the way to orange and pink

edit:these guns are either a hit or miss from various owners experiences, so i would shoot it before you buy to test out the quality and reliability of that specific pistol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom