• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dillon 650xl Redding dies issue

draftpick

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
203   1
Reaction score
My Lee FL carbide die lost the carbide ring after about 6 years 10k. I picked up a Redding FL titanium carbide and it will not line up on the shelI. I have put the die in 3 different spots and none of them the shell will line up. Has anyone had issue like this before, could the die be off center?

A lot of "standard" dies don't have any taper on the entrance. With a progressive press, this can be an issue.

Something else to check: Is your Shellplate bolt a bit too tight? If it is, the detent ball is not allowed to snap the shellplate into its aligned position.

A lot of "standard" dies don't have any taper on the entrance. With a progressive press, this can be an issue.

Something else to check: Is your Shellplate bolt a bit too tight? If it is, the detent ball is not allowed to snap the shellplate into its aligned position.
It maybe a taper on the entrance, it does not have one. Alignment is off a decent amount in all three spots I put it in, all my other dies have no issues don’t think it’s a shell plate alignment problem.

I was going to suggest that you insert a lubed case into position under your decapping Station #1 in your shell holder and then raise the shell holder and insert your brass into your die, THEN tighten your lock rings. This way, the die is aligned to the case & shell holder. Some suggest does this for each station. It may not work if you die doesn't have enough case mouth flair as some has suggested. Cost nothing to try though. Let us know if that works... I have used just about every brand of die on my XL650 and know they will work. Another thing is that your indexing ring is out of adjustment. You will have to find your Instruction Manual or get online and find out the adjustment procedure. Not hard at all though. May sure your indexing ring is work, greased and not broken while inspecting it also.

If your Dillon 650 is getting tight and won’t cycle it’s because there is a set screw on the piston that needs to be tightened, had u just taken it apart by any chance? And maybe cleaned the press?

I think the plastic piece with the spring attached that is located under the shell plate is cracked. The crack will will open up and cause misalignment during handle movement.

Part number: 13677
#20 in the picture

It is designed to break in order to protect the press.

I think the plastic piece with the spring attached that is located under the shell plate is cracked. The crack will will open up and cause misalignment during handle movement.

Part number: 13677
#20 in the picture

It is designed to break in order to protect the press.

Dillon will replace it for free, call them

Something is up with the Redding the die, I found a Dillon FL I had hidden in my drawer and I don’t have any issues with the Dillon, no changes of adjustments have been done to the press. Not sure why the Redding won’t work unless it has to do with not having a taper on the opening like the Dillon and Lee do.

Back
Top Bottom