• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dillon vs lee dies

PlumNyet

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
Is it worth going Dillon for 223 dies? Or save the money and go lee? I’m happy with my lee 9mm and 308 dies, but it feels sinful using a Dillon press with lee dies.

I thought the Dillon Dies were best used with that press because they were slightly lower tolerances? Tighter tolerance dies (RCBS/Hornady) would have an issue from what I was told.

Single Stage is quite different then what you’re using right?

I thought the Dillon Dies were best used with that press because they were slightly lower tolerances? Tighter tolerance dies (RCBS/Hornady) would have an issue from what I was told.

Single Stage is quite different then what you’re using right?

Ya I’m on a 5 stage progression press

The pistol dies from Dillon are the best that I have used. If they are lacking in any area, it is the base of the sizing die. Dillon dies do not size down as far a other dies. They have a wider opening to help the press run without misalignment. The spring loaded decapping pin works great.

The way I load rifle ammo on my 650 is a two step process. The first tool head is set up to decap and size only, this can be done with any die, but I would think the Dillon die would work well.

After the first run through the press, I trim, and do any other case prep required.

Then:

The second tool head is loaded with all the other dies needed.

Anyway, the Dillon dies are worth it, but you may prefer the other brands. Lee Dies are too short for Dillon presses in some calibers, I end up putting the lock nut on the underside of the tool head.

All in all, I like the RCBS dies the best for rifle work.

I have used Dillion, Lee and RCBS for 223.
IMO, dillion works fine but the decaping pin is proprietary and costs way too much. I can buy a pack of 50 rcbs for the price of 3 dillion. If you are running very many 223 you are going to go through a few decaping pins. I use the RCBS small based die on my 1050 without a problem.

I use Lee for everything I load. I started with Dillon 45acp and 45colt when I first started reloading because I didn't know you could use other brands. The Dillon are better made, but the Lees have worked perfect for everything else.

Never seen the need for small base dies either. Been using the standard Lee .223 dies in 3 different ARs I load for and never had an issue.

Since I use a progressive press, I do use separate Lee single stage press for resizing all rifle brass. Just easier that way.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom