• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

DIY Sauerkraut?

I went ahead and ordered the 5L version last night along with the wood tamper and a shredder. More than I wanted to spend but they look like quality products.

They are, and the water seal helps keep the nasties away.

10L is too big, so much sauerkraut you can't give it away.

I went ahead and ordered the 5L version last night along with the wood tamper and a shredder. More than I wanted to spend but they look like quality products.
I have this one in 10L. It makes a lot of kraut. I use 3 tablespoons of non iodized salt (sea or kosher) per 5 lbs of shredded cabbage, nothing else. I mix the salt and cabbage in batches, then into the crock and really tamp it down good until the liquid is visible. I like my cabbage really thinly sliced, the texture is better and it seems to make enough 'brine' without having to add any extra. If you do have to add any brine, just make sure the weights are submerged about an inch.
Add salt water to the V-channel and within a day or 2 you'll start hearing, seeing and smelling the bubbles. Check the seal after a couple of weeks and add more salt water if needed.
One thing I learned, wrap the weights in plastic wrap before adding them to the crock. No matter how many times I have washed them, I can't get rid of that smell of fermentation. And, you don't really want to do this on the kitchen counter (or in the house), it's a noxious smell while fermenting.
Discard any floaters when you jar it in 8-10 weeks.

Anybody make it? Im wanting to get into making it for the health benefits, plus its tasty. Croc's are ridiculously priced so Im looking for alternatives from you guys. Also read where several people had issues with air getting to it and spoiling. Whats a good salt/kraut ratio?
Are you asking the "best" way to rot cabbage? :confused:

I have this one in 10L. It makes a lot of kraut. I use 3 tablespoons of non iodized salt (sea or kosher) per 5 lbs of shredded cabbage, nothing else. I mix the salt and cabbage in batches, then into the crock and really tamp it down good until the liquid is visible. I like my cabbage really thinly sliced, the texture is better and it seems to make enough 'brine' without having to add any extra. If you do have to add any brine, just make sure the weights are submerged about an inch.
Add salt water to the V-channel and within a day or 2 you'll start hearing, seeing and smelling the bubbles. Check the seal after a couple of weeks and add more salt water if needed.
One thing I learned, wrap the weights in plastic wrap before adding them to the crock. No matter how many times I have washed them, I can't get rid of that smell of fermentation. And, you don't really want to do this on the kitchen counter (or in the house), it's a noxious smell while fermenting.
Discard any floaters when you jar it in 8-10 weeks.
I haven't heard of using salt water in the top seal. Does it get pretty rank from the fermentation bubbles if you just use plain water? Salt helps preserve it some? I thought 2 weeks was the time it took to make a batch? Does it vary from using a small/larger crock? Good idea on wrapping the weights.

I haven't heard of using salt water in the top seal. Does it get pretty rank from the fermentation bubbles if you just use plain water? Salt helps preserve it some? I thought 2 weeks was the time it took to make a batch? Does it vary from using a small/larger crock? Good idea on wrapping the weights.

The salt water in the V-channel keeps the bugs out.

The smell is from the gasses escaping from the crock during fermentation, no escaping that.

I usually let it go for a couple of weeks after the bubbles stop. For the 10L, that has been 6-8 weeks. I like it 'sour'.

5 weeks later and its got a real nice flavor to it. Going to pick up some more and get another batch going this week.

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom