Do you have one of those things in your home?

Do you have a voice activated 'smart' device in your home connected to the web?

• Yes

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • No

Votes: 107 77.0%
  • "Alexa, what is the best thing in the world?" "Tacos, idiot."

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
what-the-government-must-see-when-they-watch-me-through-33068449.png
gross...

Why not just use your phone IHeart, whatever) and a blue tooth speaker? :confused:

Convenience. We used Bluetooth speakers connected to our phones for years until someone gifted us the google devices. Nowadays most Bluetooth speakers have mics that are connected to the internet. Just having a phone with apps on it, one of them is listening while it runs in the "background". :spy:

I have a couple of Alexas, but it doesn't bother me any.

The one in my living room is built into the FireTV Cube, so I'm kind of stuck with it. Still, I had a regular one there before so it's not a real change.

The old living room one moved into the dining room, and I have one of the Echo Shows in the kitchen. And a small Echo in the garage.

I mainly use them to play music, but the Show in the kitchen is handy for displaying recipes. There is a little piece of tape over the camera though, just like on my laptop. The garage unit is also a safety net, in case I screw up and drop a car on myself, it can always call 911.

I also have a couple of Sonos speakers with Alexa built in.

They were a good deal but since they are in an office and a bedroom, I disabled the mic on those. I didn't need or want that functionality in either place, just the ability to play music (Sonos are excellent speakers).

Technically I can control my Ring (outward facing) cameras and security system with Alexa, but that's a bridge too far for me as well.

im trying to figure out the actual benefit to this other than the "ohh cool, neat factor"

everything alexa does, is already controlled by you, you just have to flip a switch or use a remote. voice activated controls though? ive been told by exs i talk in my sleep, lol dont want to wake up to alexa taking a pizza order or some ****

Siri (and Alexa, and Jeeves, and all the rest) are always listening if they are enabled... They aren't supposed to keep anything unless they detect their 'wake words', then those get processed (and kept).

Back
Top Bottom