• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you like to hunt windy days or calm days?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
I've heard so many hunters complain about hating to hunt on windy days but I seem to have the best luck seeing deer movement when its windy as hell.

I like it because the wind covers the noise I make in the woods and I can " play the wind" when I know which way its blowing although in some of the places I hunt in the mountains the wind will swirl in circles all day.

Short story...one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen in the woods came up from the laurel below me on a very, very steep ridge after I let out a doe bleat a few minutes earlier.

The wind was intense that day ( Helen, Ga), and that buck would,lay down, squat or stop dead when the wind quit blowing.
When the wind picked up heavily again only then would he continue on.
It was very interesting to see a buck display such behavior.....anyways he made a direct bee line away from me while keeping trees next to his vitals every time he stopped...he was one smart ol buck.
Then he made a left about 60 yards in front of me and I watched him with my Gino's until I blinked then he vanished like he fell in a hole.

I love it!

I love it too.

Bottom line, you can't get 'em if you are not out there. I don't care for lots of wind but I do like a good 5-10 mph steady wind. Calm is OK but your scent can swirl and linger too easily. My ideal conditions are a steady wind right after a good rain. I love the rain and will get wet just so I can be out there if/when it stops. Deer will move in the rain though and it is a good time to walk because you won't make much noise. If you are out in the rain on a clearcut or fairly open hardwood bottom and the rain stops for a few minutes, you better be ready. I took this guy on a clearcut right after it had been raining steadily for a few hours. 15 minutes before dark, steady 10 mph wind in my face. 3 bucks stepped out. He gave me the best opportunity. I got wet to get him but believe me the wet was the last thing on my mind when he went down.

12854_1182542002707_4353142_n.jpg

The wind was intense that day ( Helen, Ga), and that buck would,lay down, squat or stop dead when the wind quit blowing.
When the wind picked up heavily again only then would he continue on.!
Very interesting. I used to subscribe to all the commonly held beliefs about deer movement. Until 13 years ago when I moved into the house I'm now in. I can watch deer off of my back deck and it didn't take me long to realize that deer move ALL THE TIME. Rain, wind, hot, cold, whatever. About the only noticeable INCREASE in movement I notice is right before a storm. I mean when the wind is howling and the sky is black. Seems they are rushing around for a last minute feed and to get to their foul weather bedding area.
So, now the weather conditions never keep me from hunting... unless it's too hot. But that's not because the deer don't like it... I don't like it! :)

I like a light wind. If the wind is blowing too hard, I usually see deer running. Also, I have seen a lot of coyotes in the day time when the wind is blowing hard.

Yeah man, that big buck would have been dead had it not been archery season since it was to just too far of a shot to chance without a rifle.
I did not want to chance wounding such a great creature.

I too have seen bucks running like mad during heavy wind and I've successfully stopped a few with a whistle or a yell but if they stopped it was usually behind a tree and most likely with only a couple seconds of decision time for a shot before they turn and walk directly away from you.

Lastly.....I actually like swirling in my tree...LOL......it's fun, but I like to pick a tree that I could jump out of and grab a smaller one in case I needed to do a Tarzan out of mine for any reason....I guess it's the kid in me as I was always up in trees ever since my little monkey butt could climb.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom