• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Don't underestimate the survival instinct of deer.

TrueGrit

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
2   0
Reaction score
For the last week there's been very few deer at the 3 feeders or the 7 acres of greenfields we can see from the house. It's not uncommon for us to see 20+ deer every day milling around. Every year it's the same deal, general gun season opens the deer go into survival mode till after Thanksgiving.

For the last week there's been very few deer at the 3 feeders or the 7 acres of greenfields we can see from the house. It's not uncommon for us to see 20+ deer every day milling around. Every year it's the same deal, general gun season opens the deer go into survival mode till after Thanksgiving.
I 100% agree. I swear I will see deer everywhere until that first day of rifle season and POOF, they vanish.

It's always been that way. They go subterranean. But South Carolina proved long ago that when they have feeders to gorge themselves at at night there's even less reason for them to maintain their natural patterns. So I'm sure it's worse now in Georgia.

Want to survival mode? Click the link, it's graphic, but amazing non the less.

I saw a buck like that 2 years ago except he couldn't put any weight on his right rear leg. Seen him again last year and he had a bad scar and only a very slight limp.

Activity at our lease has been very slow. I guess the hunting pressure has already taken its toll.
White Oaks are dropping steadily, the deer are bedded tight on them it seems. The problem is that it’s such a good crop this year that you can’t really pinpoint exactly where they’re gonna be, because every tree is dropping and feeding sign is everywhere.

Activity at our lease has been very slow. I guess the hunting pressure has already taken its toll.
White Oaks are dropping steadily, the deer are bedded tight on them it seems. The problem is that it’s such a good crop this year that you can’t really pinpoint exactly where they’re gonna be, because every tree is dropping and feeding sign is everywhere.
This. ^^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom