Double tap .45 or LCP with shoot-through holster?

Todays 380 is no slouch... I'll take 5-6 good 380 rounds over two 45s any day of the week, plus a reload in the LCP is pretty fast.

Also, the Double Tap is huge if I remember right, and it had all the ergos of a brick.

I had an LCP as backup in a wallet holster for about a year, and it worked great in that role. I'm not a huge fan of the shoot-through 'holsters' though... to me it's not really a holster if it does not cover the trigger. I used these which still print like a wallet but work perfectly as a holster as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Kel-Te...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007BT32NA

Sigh.

The point is that just because a person doesn't want to get shot with a 380, does not mean it's an effective self defense round. If that was the test, then by that logic a pencil is also good for SD because you don't want to get stabbed with it.

As for a 380 or 22 being a good SD round because they "can kill just as dead as a .500 magnum". That is also a logical failure. The primary purpose of a SD round is to stop an attack. Though a weak caliber may eventually kill when there is good shot placement, they absolutely suck at actually stopping an attacker quickly. One of my favorite saying is: "A 22lr will kill a bad guy and they will typically die shortly after they kill you for shooting them with it."

Then why not just carry a .500 magnum? That will stop an attack and kill someone's soul. There's no perfect gun for every person for every circumstance. I carry an LCP in the summer when I'm wearing light shorts and I have no issue wondering if it is "enough." The gun show billy-bad-asses can ridicule me all they want for my pea-shooter, but that's what I choose to carry when it's sweltering hot out. Would a .45 be more effective? Of course, but I choose not to carry one with shorts on. It's not effective at all if it's at home.

Also, as stated above, I would MUCH rather have 6 or 7 shots of .380 than two of .45. That's a VERY good and valid point.

Then why not just carry a .500 magnum? That will stop an attack and kill someone's soul. There's no perfect gun for every person for every circumstance. I carry an LCP in the summer when I'm wearing light shorts and I have no issue wondering if it is "enough." The gun show billy-bad-asses can ridicule me all they want for my pea-shooter, but that's what I choose to carry when it's sweltering hot out. Would a .45 be more effective? Of course, but I choose not to carry one with shorts on. It's not effective at all if it's at home.

Also, as stated above, I would MUCH rather have 6 or 7 shots of .380 than two of .45. That's a VERY good and valid point.
The point I'm making is that the difference in size between some modern 380s and 9mm is so minimal, it's not worth giving up the substantial advantage of the 9mm. There is not a single LE agency in the US or legitimate study that recommends the 380 as a primary SD round. I'll also point out that it doesn't matter how you feel about it. This has nothing to do with your faith or confidence in the round. It has to do with real world capabilities.

Carry whatever you want, but don't try to convince people (especially yourself) that a substandard SD round is anything other than just that. Substandard.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I was only stating that a .380 isn't a round that's just going to "sting" someone and has no lethal abilities, as some would have people believe. I don't write it off as junk to not be considered. Some people may, and they're absolutely welcome to.

(And given the two options, of which a 9mm wasn't one, I would absolutely prefer the lighter weight and more rounds of a .380 versus a heavy two-shot .45.)

If Given the option of only those two. Yes! But OP did say "Any other guns I'm not thinking about that are super light and small?" in which there are 9mm options. Many guys that do carry .380 carry fmj rounds since hollow points lack penetration needed in that small round. But then the fmj, having the penetration lacks expansion. This is not an issue with 9mm or other rounds above .380.

My brother in law has a Diamondback DB9, small & 9mm.... his is reliable.....but snappy AF

Those are tiny pistols. Reliability is hit and miss but they are definitely a light, flat and low profile pistol. Having read all reviews and owning 2 or 3 of em my self years ago. They were to questionable for confident carry. Very picky and finicky to say the least and not uncommon to have failure to feed and eject or simply break. but some guys have had good luck with them. Most gun shops quit selling them for these reasons.

It is all about shot placement to achieve attacker stoppage. the old saying is amateurs argue caliber, professional know it is about shot placement. sure you can kill someone with a 22 or have them kill you after taking a rough of 45 in the arm. 42 percent of attackers stop the attack after being shot anywhere with any caliber. It is the other 52 percent we need to stop with as few roundseconds as

Back
Top Bottom