• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DPMS Oracle: School me on this.

In a world where Colt OEMs are $650, why would anybody buy a dpms?

And calling the sport 2 the gold standard is ****ing laughable.

Nobody is saying it is the gold standard man. Those two are different price points in my eyes so for the cheaper ARs I would go with an M&P Sport II over a DPMS. Pretty straight forward.

Nobody is saying it is the gold standard man. Those two are different price points in my eyes so for the cheaper ARs I would go with an M&P Sport II over a DPMS. Pretty straight forward.
I think the M&P Sport II is the golden standard these days, but nothing wrong with a DPMS. I think the market is hitting bottom, so now is the time to buy.

I had a DPMS LR-308 in the 24 inch bull barrel platform. SOB weighed a ton but it was very accurate. When I say accurate I mean 5 shots equals 1 ragged hole. It shot very nicely. The only reason I sold it was because it was just too damn heavy. It was only good for hauling from the truck to the shooting bench and that was it. I don't judge guns by the name except for PSA ( to many bad experiences with parts ) but the DPMS was a good gun. Was it a HK? Not by a long shot but for the money a great gun. A lot of the lesser expensive guns could be bought and upgraded and made into great guns. Pick one that doesn't have a lot of slop. Change out the barrel and BCG and then you have a really good gun. As long as it's mil spec from the factory it can transformed into a really, really good custom.

Mine was 24" super bull barrel ,fluted ,cryo'd, jp trigger, from the factory. It is heavy as hell but a hell of a bench gun

Mine was 24" super bull barrel ,fluted ,cryo'd, jp trigger, from the factory. It is heavy as hell but a hell of a bench gun

Mine is 16 inch barrel and I was regretting that for a while, but it is light enough to haul around and is still an accurate shooter.

their ok, nothing special but nothing awful. the prices are damn cheap right now though. i dont konw what your shop had them for but i've seen them around the 380 mark right now after the rebates

In a world where Colt OEMs are $650, why would anybody buy a dpms?

And calling the sport 2 the gold standard is ****ing laughable.
OP was interested in the rifle because of the price point. M&P Sport II is the golden standard for entry level ARs. There are obviously better options in other price brackets, but that's not in line with what OP was asking. A DPMS is literally half the price of a Colt these days, so it's legitimate to have an interest.

Ars brand wise it's all in prestige and what you want. My bushmaster was a lemon and I found a used colt for a deal and it ran great. As far as Ar15s go find one that runs good and call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom