• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Item Gone: easy $200 for anyone that can put a chain on a go kart and rig the throttle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
Item Name: Item Gone: easy $200 for anyone that can put a chain on a go kart and rig the throttle...

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: Title says all. That is what I need done.

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
Making up a chain is not really that difficult.
Once someone shows you how it is done you won't pay anyone else again.

Knowing what to buy is the challenge. :D

Some carts take a #35 chain and some use a #40.
You may be able to find it stamped on the clutch.
Does it have the torque converter clutch with a belt and a chain or it is chain drive from the clutch to the sprocket?

For 3/4" bore clutches:
12 tooth on the clutch is normally a #35 chain
10 tooth on the clutch is normally a #40 chain

If you have a part of the old chain, measure the distance between the center of the pins on the chain
3/8" = #35
1/2" = #40

Hope this helps:

I am in East Coweta and if you can bring it to me, I don't mind showing you how to make up a chain.
I have #40 chain in my workshop but if it takes #35, the last time I was at Tractor Supply in Newnan, they had chain and connecting links in stock.

Could you post a picture or two?
You don't want to "break" the chain.. you want to disassemble it. :)

If the chain is still in a continuous loop then loosen the bolts connecting the engine to the frame and slide the engine forward or backwards. You should then be able to slide the loop over the sprocket and clutch. Then slide the engine to tighten the chain and tighten the bolts.

Thanks for all the support! Can't break the chain without bending it.
Is there no assembly link? It would have a clip on it

F2FC7F4C-0E1D-4F01-8EA6-B130EADC79F8.jpeg

If you purchased a new section of chain, loop it over the sprocket and clutch then mark the INSIDE link which will allow the chain to be the correct length. Grind or file off the pins on the outside link then use a punch to disassemble the chain. Reassemble the length of chain into a loop with the connecting link.

Could you post a picture or two?
You don't want to "break" the chain.. you want to disassemble it. :)

If the chain is still in a continuous loop then loosen the bolts connecting the engine to the frame and slide the engine forward or backwards. You should then be able to slide the loop over the sprocket and clutch. Then slide the engine to tighten the chain and tighten the bolts.
If you purchased a new section of chain, loop it over the sprocket and clutch then mark the INSIDE link which will allow the chain to be the correct length. Grind or file off the pins on the outside link then use a punch to disassemble the chain. Reassemble the length of chain into a loop with the connecting link.
Is there no assembly link? It would have a clip on it

View attachment 4296019
Guys I'm not clueless I promise. I did the motor swap and all. I just am so frustrated with mangling chains and having them fly off an hour later. Really just washing my hands of the job.

Making up a chain is not really that difficult.
Once someone shows you how it is done you won't pay anyone else again.

Knowing what to buy is the challenge. :D

Some carts take a #35 chain and some use a #40.
You may be able to find it stamped on the clutch.
Does it have the torque converter clutch with a belt and a chain or it is chain drive from the clutch to the sprocket?

For 3/4" bore clutches:
12 tooth on the clutch is normally a #35 chain
10 tooth on the clutch is normally a #40 chain

If you have a part of the old chain, measure the distance between the center of the pins on the chain
3/8" = #35
1/2" = #40

Hope this helps:

I am in East Coweta and if you can bring it to me, I don't mind showing you how to make up a chain.
I have #40 chain in my workshop but if it takes #35, the last time I was at Tractor Supply in Newnan, they had chain and connecting links in stock.
I can not thank you enough. I'll send you a PM asap. I have done all sorts of small engine stuff but this has me so frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom