• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Electricians / HVAC experts question

TheGman

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
221   0
Reaction score
The heat went out yesterday (fancy WiFi thermostat went dark). Suddenly just out. We called HVAC folks (new system installed last year). They said its the controller / Trane XL 1050). Came back today picked up old one brought back a new one,

Installed this afternoon it was flickering. Checked several things.

Went into attic where unit is and found this.

Electrical disconnect.

They replaced it. What causes this?

C8115841-B007-41FD-8697-A0A66982E2BF.jpeg F9826198-0FCE-47B3-BA76-A41736F2621B.jpeg 92917C1F-D326-4EA5-BC4B-FDEBE43883B4.jpeg

The heat went out yesterday (fancy WiFi thermostat went dark). Suddenly just out. We called HVAC folks (new system installed last year). They said its the controller / Trane XL 1050). Came back today picked up old one brought back a new one,

Installed this afternoon it was flickering. Checked several things.

Went into attic where unit is and found this.

Electrical disconnect.

They replaced it. What causes this?

View attachment 3116981 View attachment 3116982 View attachment 3116983

Did you have any lightning with the recent storms? Any power blips?

Ok so I'm questioning what I see.. I see in the first pic the white wire landing on the lug or so it seems. Then the wire splits. I would assume that was done by someone manipulating the wire. The second photo shows the lug on the split end. How was the wire terminated? Limp wristed guys can create these problems as well. The full picture of the disconnect would be preferred.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Likely loose connection at the electrical disconnect lugs where the wiring lands. Did they use aluminum wire? If so that takes even more care than copper. Essentially if the lugs that attach the wire at the disconnect are loose, its a matter of time before they overheat. I wonder why the breaker upstream (that feed it from the main panel) did not trip. You should have it tested or simply replace it as well.

Back
Top Bottom