• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Elephant Ivory

Fishcall

Default rank <200 posts Supporter
Tracker
19   0
Reaction score
Over 10 years ago I inherited an African elephant tusk from my father. My grandfather brought it back from a safari in the late 60's early 70's. I have the pictures to prove it (35mm slides transferred to CD).
My question is, what can I do with it? The law states that if it was in the country prior to 1990 I can sell/trade it, but only intrastate (can't leave the state). What's it worth?

By no means am I desperate to get rid of it, but I'd like to know my options.

See, I knew I was asking the right people. I'll reach out the contact in the Antiques ad, Thanks

GAGunguy GAGunguy !​

I'll post some pictures and weight when I get home.
If it is worth decent money, should it be insured?
It's not displayed at home (not going to fight with the wife over that) and it sits in a corner amongst old gun stocks and fishing poles. Prior to that it was stored in my father's attic.

My father-in-law bought a tusk years ago and had it cut into knife handles, he was a Randall addict.
Keep the tusk inside where the humidity level is stable, much like you do for your guns. Changes in temp and humidity
will make it crack which will hurt value.

I also have an Elephant’s tusk that supposedly my Grandfather shot when he lived in South Africa 1909 -1915. From what I was told by the US Government I can not sell it. I have no proof of providence. Just handed down to me when he died when I was 18. (1972) only male in the family.
I have no family and can’t think of anyone I can leave it to. It is small. 16.5” and only half is solid. I once looked around for someone that wanted to carve it.
I also have a stuffed sea turtle, bought in Cuba in 1959.
Your Slide, if the mount is dated might work to prove when it was obtained.
Maybe. S,S, S.

Attachments

• IMG_5959.jpeg
    IMG_5959.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 20
I would consider reaching out to an exotic grip maker. Give them the tusk in exchange for making you a few pairs from it.

I have ivory in my carry 1911 and it’s amazing.

Back
Top Bottom