Rebuild or Turnkey?

• Rebuild!

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Turnkey!

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Neither!!

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
No, $650 for the original engine. Its not rebuilt.
The turn key was throwing me.

OK IMHO If the “turn key” motor is good I would install that. Even if it needs “freshened up” meaning just the normal rebuild kit and have the heads checked. That would be a lot cheaper than a race motor, and you would know what is installed.
You can find crate motors reasonable, but only from the distributors I referenced earlier. Lots of cheap crap out there, they don’t replace old stuff if it is within spec, and may be stressed over time and will fail. I would not trust them and when you try to warrantee, they try to blame on you or who ever installed.

If you can’t build
It yourself have GREAT shop build it for you using quality parts and make sure you have it dyno tested and tuned before you throw it in your machine.
Then take it to another shop to have the entire drivetrain dyno tuned at the wheels.
if you can find a shop that can do both then you’re even better off than buying a grab bag turn key.

find you a 400 4 bolt block and have it stroked. You can go to 434 real easily. Have all the rotating balanced. It will make a world of difference in how it runs and how long it will last. A SBC will be much, much easier to put into that 83 to 88 body than a BBC

find you a 400 4 bolt block and have it stroked. You can go to 434 real easily. Have all the rotating balanced. It will make a world of difference in how it runs and how long it will last. A SBC will be much, much easier to put into that 83 to 88 body than a BBC
LOL, you sound just like me. I run a 434 myself

Back
Top Bottom