• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ESEE vs. Kabar Becker BKII

Laufen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
49   0
Reaction score
Well that's pretty much it. What are the advantages for the $$ of the ESEE vs the BKII. I'm looking for a 5" (probably) camp knife. If the ESEE really provides some advantage I'm willing to spend the money, I just haven't uncovered any yet.

I have an ESEE-5 and wouldn't trade it for nuthin' but it is very similar to the Becker BK2.

The bevel on the blade and the shape/material of the handle may be the biggest differences.

Bulky micarta or molded rubber;
It probably boils down to which one fits best in your hand.

Otherwise, nothing beats ESEE's ballistic-nylon sheaths that are designed for Airborne/seaborne opns.

There is a good review of the Becker on Minnesota's version of this site...
www.outdoortrader.net
just pics and a write-up, without a miserable 20+ minute video clip!
but if you must suffer, search utube for "ESEE vs. BK2"

Now, back to chopping up some cardboard boxes.....

I have an ESEE-5 and wouldn't trade it for nuthin' but it is very similar to the Becker BK2.

The bevel on the blade and the shape/material of the handle may be the biggest differences.

Bulky micarta or molded rubber;
It probably boils down to which one fits best in your hand.

Otherwise, nothing beats ESEE's ballistic-nylon sheaths that are designed for Airborne/seaborne opns.

There is a good review of the Becker on Minnesota's version of this site...
www.outdoortrader.net
just pics and a write-up, without a miserable 20+ minute video clip!
but if you must suffer, search utube for "ESEE vs. BK2"

Now, back to chopping up some cardboard boxes.....

Is there any appreciable difference in the steel? Thanks for your input.

The BK 2 is awesome, I watched a dude cut the motor out of the deck of a lawnmower with it!

It fits the hand great, well balanced, and an awesome sheath comes with it, can be worn either side, friction retain, and an additional safety clasp around the handle.

Rockwell is a 62, had to use a diamond stone to sharpen it after heavy use.

Comparing 1/4" thick slabs of quality steel....either can be pounded through most anything,
so the zombies you bifurcate probably won't notice the difference... :confused2:

Not many people own both to compare, but check out the second video clip (only 2 minutes).
That is some brutal "blade to blade" competition. ESEE gets the better of the Becker, but both suffer damage:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_4/339132_Becker_BK2_vs_ESEE_5.html

The Gerber LMF-II is also very similar in quality and size.
ESEE has collaborated with Becker on several designs, so there is some mutual respect there as well.

ESEE costs a little more, but I think you will get what you pay for and be satisfied either way.

Just missed the sale at Blade HQ- they had the ESEE laser strike on sale not too long ago. I like the spear point on the LS better than the clip point on the ESEE5. They're both about a 5" blade.

I picked one up during the sale but haven't been able to really use it yet.

Just missed the sale at Blade HQ- they had the ESEE laser strike on sale not too long ago. I like the spear point on the LS better than the clip point on the ESEE5. They're both about a 5" blade.

I picked one up during the sale but haven't been able to really use it yet.

I love my Esee Laser Strike...great knives!
photo copy 3.jpg

the Esee 3 is another personal favorite.
photo copy.jpg

I am not sure about the smaller knives but the BK 9 is one tough SOB. Yesterday I was pounding mine through seasoned red oak, using a seasoned piece of red oak for a baton and it handled it fine, its a good piece of steel.

Back
Top Bottom