• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on this old Kabar knife

Hey brother. I know you didn’t ask me and I am butting in on the conversation but we used to get an “allowance” each week from our parents when I was a kid. It was just a few dollars to begin with , I think I was probably 8-10yrs old . Then it increased over time until I was a teenager and got a job.
Our “allowance” each week was just for doing extra chores and stuff, but mainly a way for us to get trained and used to money and getting paid for work. I think mine was about $10 or something to start. Maybe even $5 to start….i don’t remember well. Then it would increase over time . I think mine was about $20/wk at the end when I finally got a part time job.
I would save some but spent most of it on candy, sodas, movies, etc., all that kid stuff !! lol. 😝
Good times I'm sure

Good times I'm sure
Oh you know it !! Lol
Sometimes we had money when others didn’t …..that made us the “big dogs” ! lol - ya know what i mean ?
But it was a way that we learned the value and use of money at an early age. Of course I went to work at a young age. Oh there were the lawn mowings for neighbors, gutter cleanings , etc., but I actually got a part time job at a little gas station to start out at around 12-13 y.o. I think it was.
I swept the lot, wiped down the gas pumps, cleaned up, done whatever. Forgot what it paid. I’m sure it was minimal but I had money when my friends didn’t. Even if I did miss the occasional get together for kids stuff like movies and woods stomping….i worked . But I also played a fair bit.
I was admired by most of my friends . Respected by a few adults too. It made you feel good sometimes !
I was worn out a good bit but happy most of the time. Lol

Oh you know it !! Lol
Sometimes we had money when others didn’t …..that made us the “big dogs” ! lol - ya know what i mean ?
But it was a way that we learned the value and use of money at an early age. Of course I went to work at a young age. Oh there were the lawn mowings for neighbors, gutter cleanings , etc., but I actually got a part time job at a little gas station to start out at around 12-13 y.o. I think it was.
I swept the lot, wiped down the gas pumps, cleaned up, done whatever. Forgot what it paid. I’m sure it was minimal but I had money when my friends didn’t. Even if I did miss the occasional get together for kids stuff like movies and woods stomping….i worked . But I also played a fair bit.
I was admired by most of my friends . Respected by a few adults too. It made you feel good sometimes !
I was worn out a good bit but happy most of the time. Lol
Learning to manage your money and work ethics was what it was all about

So funny, I have that same exact knife. Kabar 1236. Been on many, many a camping trip with me. Had mine about 5 years now and still sharp enough to shave with. Got it at Hodges Army/Navy in Marietta, but definitely a civilian model:

Edit: My blade length is 6", not 4...

1703060915548.png

So funny, I have that same exact knife. Kabar 1236. Been on many, many a camping trip with me. Had mine about 5 years now and still sharp enough to shave with. Got it at Hodges Army/Navy in Marietta, but definitely a civilian model:

Edit: My blade length is 6", not 4...

View attachment 6627889
There are two versions of it 4" and 6"....you can order them on Amazon today.

Bought one like it at Service Merchandise back in the late 70's. Saved my allowance for over a month, believe it was $16 or so then. Dad helped me with the last few dollars, sales tax shocked me as I recall.
I believe it was 4% back in those days. It's slowly doubled in the last 50 years.

Back
Top Bottom