• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ever use a PTX on a Single Stage Press?

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used a case activated powder drop and powder through expander die on a single stage press? It would only run about $60 to rig up on my powder measure. Don't know if it is worth the cost...

I see no reason to use a powder measure on a single-stage press. I prefer to use a bench-mounted powder measure (or my ChargeMaster), inspect the charge in the case, and immediately seat a bullet on the case.
I hate loading trays.

I see no reason to use a powder measure on a single-stage press. I prefer to use a bench-mounted powder measure (or my ChargeMaster), inspect the charge in the case, and immediately seat a bullet on the case.
I hate loading trays.

One major reason is combining the case mouth expansion and case charging into a single step saves time.

Choosing a measure friendly high density powder makes the process extremely accurate and very fast.

One major reason is combining the case mouth expansion and case charging into a single step saves time.

Choosing a measure friendly high density powder makes the process extremely accurate and very fast.

That was my thought. Combine the sizing/depriming and priming step, the expanding and charging step, then seat/crimp. I use the blocks to keep everything organized during the process. All it really saves is the motion over to the powder measure and charging. It may not be a lot, but streamlining the process can't hurt.

The one worry I have is adding an additional caliber specific set up to my change over. I load several different calibers and the little Hornady press makes it easy with their LnL bushings. If I change over to a PTX on the press I will have to adjust for each caliber. I guess there is no free lunch.

I have thought about the Auto Charge type scale combinations, but I load out in my shop and it is only heated/cooled when I am out there. Temperature variations are one thing that I have heard affect those machines greatly. I also wonder about the time it takes to measure out small pistol loads like 5.0 grains and under since the machine will basically start out on the slowest setting.

I've not used Hornady's powder through expander, so I can't advise on them.

Lee pistol dies ship standard with a powder through expander and their auto disk measures screw right in.

I still use RCBS and Lyman pistol dies. I simply replace their expander with a Lee. They're sold separately and very affordable.

Unless for example where the Forster press prevents it, for straight walled cartridges combining the case mouth expansion and case charging is a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom