Experience with a Boom lift or bucket truck ?

roundhouse

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
16   0
Reaction score
I’m pondering to buy a used boom lift to do some Soffit and gutter repairs on my two story house .
And repaint the entire house a different color .
It’s gonna take me long enough that renting one isn’t viable .

I’ve used rented boom lifts before at work ,

$10k is my max budget and I’ve run across a couple of 4wd diesel articulating boom lifts for that price .

And there’s lots and lots of bucket trucks for that price .

I haven’t gotten enough bids yet from contractors to do the work for me but if previous experience is a guide , I suspect the bids will be really high and they will do crappy work , since their goal is to complete the work as fast as possible and collect the money , and my goal is to fix it right .

If it were me, I would rent or buy one of the smaller trailered atrium type man lifts. A boom truck sounds too expensive when you factor in insurance and any type of maintenance and/or repair.

If it were me, I would rent or buy one of the smaller trailered atrium type man lifts. A boom truck sounds too expensive when you factor in insurance and any type of maintenance and/or repair.
The bucket truck is a lot cheaper than the towable trailer mounted lifts

Cheapest towable I’ve seen is $25k
I’ve found a couple of bucket trucks for $6k

Not sure if I’d even get insurance on it
It’s not gonna be on the road .

The terrain around my house is not level
A 4wd would be nice but I could install
A winch for about $500

Scaffolding, cheap, one man set up two man a breeze ..... take your time, do the job right and do the job safely.
boom-lifts are not cheap, and the cheaper they are the more worn out they are... ie.. (Unsafe hard to control)
need to be level and boom length needs to be a factor also ......... I have worked out of Boom lift's for years and have logged thousands of hours in them. not all boom lifts operate the same way ...... way to many limitations ...
more than you can think of if you have no experience operating them.

Back
Top Bottom